LTL a good local option?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by dave01282000, Jan 27, 2023.

1. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    Chinatown and a few others suggested some LTL companies and I figured I have to start somewhere as I know very little about LTL. Going to have to depart the OTR life soon or I'm going to likely find myself newly single...I'll have a year of reefer experience.

Coupla questions:

1. I do notice the LTL carriers pass me often and it's almost never the opposite where I'm doing the passing...does it tend to be tight timelines where you're often running against the clock?

2. I also notice it seems to be mostly day cabs, assuming that means home daily?

Trying to research all the local options before I actually come home just to have a rough idea. Appreciate the help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Anywhichwaybutloose

Anywhichwaybutloose Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2017
    City delivery is home everyday.
    Linehaul could be home daily, every other day or gone all week. Every LTL is run differently.

road_runner and dave01282000 Thank this.
  4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    With your reefer experience, you might want to consider working for grocery store chains, or food service providers such as Performance Food Group, and Sysco. The jobs pay $90K to $110K annually, Most are home every day but the job is very labor intensive and you must be customer service oriented or you wont last. Another market to investigate for home daily, would be specialty gas hauling, liquid oxygen, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and other cryogenic gases hauled in tankers for hospitals, steel mills, chemical plants and Pharmaceuticals.

Truck Driver Jobs | Air Products

CDL Truck Driver Jobs | Airgas

Sysco Careers

Drive With Performance Foodservice

dave01282000 Thanks this.
  5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    CAUTION: Procede carefully....with those local, home-daily gigs. :confused: o_O

Cryogenics, & fuel-hauling: You'll start out doing nights, weekends, and holidays. Shifts are mostly seniority-based. Your schedule with thus be reversed from everyone else's that are back home. Very skimpy PTO & sick leave, for your first year. You'll slip-seat a rig with another driver; said driver may (or may not) be a pig. Also: driver-facing cameras. Nazi gestapo-level safety dept mentalities (I've been chided for having a soft drink in my hand while driving! :rolleyes: It was summertime, in Florida. People--hellll-looo!!!).

LTL: You'll most likely start out (in many cases) on "extra board"...which basically means "on call", for line-haul duty. You may stay on the "extra board" for months, or even years. Very unpredictable income during that time; poor sleep patterns, too. LTL has been laying off lately in some markets/locations, as freight has slowed down there. Daily P&D is probably different, but that has its own share of nightmares, as you are dealing directly with customers, every day. :eek: Because of the layoffs--things there for the foreseeable near-term look dicey.

Food service/delivery companies: The money is good, to great--and you're home daily, in most cases. But the work is very labor intensive (to sugar-coat it mildly), and you will earn e-v-e-r-y penny. Lots of co-workers with workplace injuries, and/or limping. Gee....I wonder why? Basically, it's mostly a meat-grinder. Pure "shuttle" positions aren't nearly as intensive.

Pick your poison....:oops:

--Lual

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I asked to be on extra board and refused to bid on runs. Stayed on extra board for 3 or 4 years before leaving the company. I was the top paid driver every year because of staying on extra board. The other drivers complained to the terminal manager about me refusing to bid on runs and said it wasn't fair that I was making the most money, yet low on the seniority ladder.
    [​IMG]

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It shouldn’t be anybody’s fault but theirs that you wanted to work and they didn’t.

dave01282000 and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    Really appreciate all this info…a lot to consider once I get home.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    It could be tough to find a job in LTL right now, with it being the slow season and people worried about the economy. Normally things pick back up in the spring, so you might find more job listings in a few months.

It's possible that some drivers are running up against their clock, but mostly they are just trying to complete their day and go home. It's also courteous to be on time to a meet and swap, so your meet driver isn't sitting around waiting.

Local P&D drivers are all home daily. With linehaul it varies by company, but all of them have home daily options with enough seniority. Of the drivers who do stay out, 99% of them stay in hotels. Most of the sleeper trucks are team operations.

singleaxle and dave01282000 Thank this.
  10. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    What market are you in?

To answer your question, based on my experience,
    1. Not super tight. But you should not dilly dally.

2. Yes

There are two sides of LTL, P&D, and linehaul. P&D pays less but works daytime. Linehaul works nights and offers more $$$. There are some daytime linehaul runs depending on the outfit but those go to the 20+ year guys.

Speedy356 and dave01282000 Thank this.
  11. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    it can be good, it can be bad. alot of it has to do with management of the location you work at. every places has different styles of managing things. i seen alot of variety. and there is alot of rules employers must obey but it is unrealistic to expect full compliance. so each one has varying degrees of bad and uncompliancy from the employers end. the employees may feel the brunt of this and harm them and their careers. this is stuff has little to do with the job itself too. it could be on the surface a good place, but then you find out whatever management there breaks alot of rules on their end. could be all kinds of things, high harassment, sexual harassment, discrimination, cutting corners on safety and health for more profits. there is a very long list of things that a potentially on the surface good place to work at can become pretty bad pretty quick and it doesn't take much.

in general ltl is pretty solid, option though.

dave01282000 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.