LTL in Pictures

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Sep 1, 2013.

1. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    And then people wondered why I always checked pups for tripods BEFORE I started loading or breaking one. You LTL guys see a lot of things an OTR driver would never think existed.

This is a good thread keep it coming.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rolloff Truck Driver

Rolloff Truck Driver Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Houston,Tx
    Thanks for the info. I just never seen two 53 ft box Box trailers being hooked together before im used to seeing doubles 28 ft trailers being pulled throughout the Houston Metro area. Now when I think about it I used to see multiple converters on lowboy trailers when heavy equipment was being transported.

mje Thanks this.
  4. Glp

Glp Medium Load Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Oakland, CA
    turnpike doubles or even triples would be a disaster if they were legal in california, at least in the bay area. For those of you that have been on 880 through oakland probably know what i mean

5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Ive seen them but we dont have them on our pup trailers... However we do go to some customers for drop and hooks and I have seen the stands on trailers. one place we drop vans off they told me to make sure its in before I leave. I never used one before that but whatever, paid hourly while drop/hook so I made sure it was good. Guess its a good thing if the trailer will be there for some time

mje and 379exhd Thank this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I have noticed at our local Costco store, they won't go into a trailer with a fork lift, unless there is something under the nose. Whether it be a tractor, a jack stand, or even a bunch of pallets.

7. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    SAIA have a few trailers used to anyway that have the bar on the nose that locked to keep the trailer from tipping. But we used the yellow stands that screwed up against the top plate. They were a blessing and a curse couldn't touch one without getting about 10lbs of grease on you but they served their purpose. Never once was a trailer tipped over 17 years I've been around that terminal. Hell I was around when it was still Clark brothers and they were over on Yolande. Those were the days.

I didn't know YRC paid hourly for drop and hook. My dad was always paid flat rate. It WAS $9/drop that was a few years back though. $36/night. Is what he was paid for. From what I've been hearing though saia has screwed up a lot of the Midwest. Used to be 4 linehual runs out of that terminal. There's 2 now. And a driver that runs outside power for them guess he's in a contract now so they don't have to hire another line haul driver.

And a couple of their city drivers are working 14s from what I've heard. Things have changed a lot since my dad was terminated. Lot of memories there from the good days. Its still a good place to work for the benefits especially after 10 years. But its nothing like Clark was. And its nothing like it was when SAIA first bought them out.

8. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Saia isnt around where I am so I never see them. with YRC we are paid a minimun of a half hour for a drop hook, nice when you get that just drop the set, and hook to this pre-hook set or van. We got a few city guys maxing out hours. There are terminals where the city guys are maxing out within four days (60 hours for P/D). Just heard they put in for this bid for this major account and I found out if we get it where are going to be crazy busy. Dont even have enough lone-haul guys either, other terminals been coming up on their days off to help out. They get their load, come to us and we via them out. Im thinking of even doing an extra run tomorrow if nothings going on

379exhd Thanks this.
  9. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    When I was at Central they ran a guy Miami-Orlando Orlando-Miami with double 48s. In true Central fashion the trailers were usually 40 grand a piece, so the dude grosses out at around 120,000 pounds and hauls ### on the Turnpike doing 75 mph going around everybody. Truly a scary sight. I heard they got two guys now for this run.

10. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    #### the bay area to hell

11. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    I second that!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.