LTL P&D vs Linehaul

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by HiramKingWilliams, Jun 11, 2020.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Again, that’s going to depend on the terminal.

At some barns the city drivers do better than the linehaul drivers if they have enough of a run to get the hours.

Some companies don’t pay extra for drop and hook, or having to detour around an accident. Also, on the road things can and do happen. On meet and turn runs you could have an idiot coming from the other end who can’t keep the left door shut, or will bring you overweight trailers with half the lights not working which could mean either he or you getting shut down at a scale. That’s why I personally don’t like those runs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    at my former employer (NEMF) line haul actually COST the company money, is what i was told.

i made a good wage, but the city drivers always did better.

MACK E-6 and EuropeanTrucker Thank this.
  4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Like @Digman943 said, some places are so desirable, they have a waiting list of internal transfers.

The wait for city drivers to transfer at the hub I run to is around two years. Until then, their city bid is overnight dock. Occasionally they might get a road run if the extra board is exhausted or run to the rail yard if there’s some overflow, but for the most part it’s working the dock the whole time. Then when they finally transfer to linehaul, they go to the bottom of a 30+ driver extra board and still end up on the dock a lot if there’s no runs.

EuropeanTrucker Thanks this.
  5. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have never worked for a freight company but I’ve always been local and can chime in from a lifestyle point of view.

The most money I’ve ever made was a 565 mile run every night starting at 8 or 9 pm. It was a 14-15 hour shift with loading/unloading in a tanker. We were paid by the hour @26.50. 5 days a week OT after 8. Good money.

Would I do it again? No. This was in California so I had to just to make ends meet.

Now I work on the cryo side in Washington/Idaho starting at 630 am everyday making almost $30 in the union.

Not an even comparison but I’d ALWAYS make more in California or most states on a run like that vs day shift. BUT, nothing against the night owls, it’s not for everyone ESPECIALLY a family man. I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old. I would never go “linehaul “ again with the situation I’m in.

The money (for the most part) is generally better on the “easy” night runs than bumping docks all day. But you have to compare the lifestyle differences. I do 12-20 stops a day. Majority of them are liftgate deliveries NOT dock. I’d rather do this than bump one dock on a 12 hour shift in the middle of the night.

We are all different types of drivers. This is what makes this forum a community. Evaluate your personal life and make the decision. We are here to help

650cat425, jmz, McUzi and 2 others Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That said, for what linehaul entails it’s the easiest money in the world.

Therefore I have no illusions that that every company under the sun wouldn’t contract all that out in a New York minute if they could.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  7. LTLTRKR

LTLTRKR Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2020
    In the North east Line Haul is not always the better job. Traffic on I-95 from DC to Boston never stops , not even in the middle of the night( Cross Bronx in NY is same day and night- pure hell !!!). Tons of construction done overnights to keep traffic flowing. As for preference, I say Line Haul is a breed of drivers- driving all night sometimes without seeing other head lights for quite sometime. Break down on a rural interstate in the middle of the night and you can be there for a while. P&D is days but definitely harder work, 15-20+ stops a day between Deliveries and pick ups. Depending on run will determine you trailer- 28, 32, 40, 45, 48- liftgate, no lift gate. Heavy industrial areas will get you more stops but usually more loading docks and less miles vs. rural runs less stops but more miles.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    oh i agree, hook up and go, unhook, wait for next load, or get another load to another terminal, then rinse-repeat back to your terminal.

i liked it, and wished i had not left, but all things considered, they closed up anyways.

and as we age, trust me, age discrimination IS out there...BTDT.....

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The run I have involves what’s about a hundred mile drive before those 15-20 stops, but once I get there I usually have the route done in 3-4 hours before starting pickups.

10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Cross Bronx isn't that bad between 0000 and 0230, it's the CT state line going south bound and construction on GWB that REALLY bones your night. Summer time I used to take Tappan Zee every night, fall/winter I'd rely on the PANJNY app to make my decision in real time on whether I was going straight through or not. 90% of the time the app was pretty #### good in my trip planning.

LPjunior1970 and jmz Thank this.
  11. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    There’s a senior city guy at my barn always complaining how he should be a road driver because he does about 250 miles on his route. I asked the supervisor what he does a day...5 deliveries and 5-8 pick ups a day. All country back roads. I’m a road driver I would love his peddle route. I don’t think he knows how good he has it. I’d like to seem him run out of Chicago Summit where those city guys run down town Chicago all day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.