Lycon Inc. in WI?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Zonno, May 27, 2024.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    South Ga
    https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Lycon-In...romjk=56944276e25258fe&attributionid=mobvjcmp

I could post this in the Motor Carriers section, but thought I may get more views here. $65-$100k annually is much better than the $54k I grossed last year. And the way things are going, it’s doubtful I’ll gross that much this year, despite a pay raise in March. I’m currently driving a dump truck for a paving company, so with dump experience it would seem I’d stand a good chance of getting hired on (though I wouldn’t relocate until I knew I had the job lined up).

They claim no winter layoffs, though according to the reviews I read on Indeed, it slows down a bit during the winter. They also pay hourly with OT after 8 hours instead of after 40 hours weekly (which is what I’m paid). The reviews say a typical work week can be 50-60 hours, which I’m used to. As Lycon seems to be a concrete company, I would assume they don’t take off on rainy days unless the weather is severe. At my current occupation, we haul other materials besides asphalt and can work during the rain, but if there’s nothing else besides asphalt to haul and it’s raining, then we’re staying home for the day.

Could it be worth it to relocate for a better job opportunity? To do a search on Indeed, Wisconsin seems to be loaded with local jobs, and the local jobs seem to outnumber the OTR/regional jobs that pop up. Although a good number of these are other dump truck jobs that are seasonal. But still, many of them advertise $25 hourly starting out. It could almost be worth it to work there and find something part time during the winter. It’s very difficult to find a $25 hourly job in GA unless you get close to Atlanta, which I don’t want to do. Does anyone know anything about this company and/or dump trucking up north?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Janesville Wisconsin is where I grew up. Never worked for Lycon but they have been there in that spot forever. In fact, we used to sneak into their gravel pit all the time as kids.

I did have an uncle who worked there a long time and he retired well. I don't think you could go wrong there.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    A couple of my trainees came from there. They may not lay you off in the winter, but you're looking at 15-20 hours a week. They also have very high turnover.

You should be able to find a job (almost any job) in Wisconsin that pays better than $50k a year, particularly with a cdl.

Lightfoot71 and Zonno Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.