M11 Oil Pressure PDI100 FM1

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 9800IH, May 24, 2024.

1. 9800IH

9800IH Bobtail Member

May 24, 2024
    Long story short I've been chasing an intermittent problem where my truck will just shut down randomly with no apparent rhyme or reason. It is a 1997 International 9800 with a M11 Cummins.
    I found a loose connection under the dash and thought that was the problem. We took it on a 9 hour road trip and it did great until we were almost home when it shut down while driving and then again 10 miles later and drove great after that the rest of the way home.
    I ordered a cheap autel scan tool to see if it has codes, even though I have no dash warning light on at all, even when it shuts down.
    I do have an active code though: PID100 FM1 Oil pressure below operating range- most severe.
    The gauge on the dash seems to be reading fine (25-50psi) so I looked at the data though the scan tool and it said I had almost 100PSI.
    I change the oil pressure sensor and now the data on the scan tool and my dash gauge are within 5psi of each other.
    The code is still active though.
    Any ideas where to go from here? It looks like the ECM is getting the correct oil pressure so I'm not sure what would be causing the code.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Did you clear the code and run the truck? PID100 FM1 Oil pressure below operating range- most severe. Likely have a wiring issue or connection that tells the ECM there is low oil pressure which shuts the truck off. What you need is a snapshot of the data at the time the code was set. Best to clean the connection at the sensor with DeOxit and then apply silicone dielectric grease before reconnecting. Make sure the connection is tight. And follow the wire from the sensor back to see if it rubbed anywhere or if there is corrosion. I would also check the pin at the ECM but you would need a wiring diagram. @Heavyd is the Int'l expert and may be able to further assist you.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  4. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Does it possibly have something like a Kysor shut down system? I have seen one of those on an electronic engine. Look down the left side of the block at the oil rail. How many sensors are there and what are they for?

JB7 Thanks this.
  5. 9800IH

9800IH Bobtail Member

May 24, 2024
    It’s staying as an active code so I can’t clear the code, well atleast not with my scan tool

The thing thats throwing my off is that the data on the scan tool is showing good oil pressure and that should be seeing what the ECM sees

Definitely won’t hurt the clean all the connections and inspect the wires too

6. 9800IH

9800IH Bobtail Member

May 24, 2024
    I haven’t seen one on it
    It does have the Cummins engine protection built in though

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  7. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    The one I was referring to was on Cat in a Star They were connected some how. It was very odd. It had extra sensors for the add on shut down system.

8. BoxCarKidd

Aug 26, 2014
    So did the Cat.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    What FMI is it? FMI 1 or is it something else, FMI "?" Quickserve seems to be down right now so I am not much help at the moment.

10. 9800IH

9800IH Bobtail Member

May 24, 2024
    FMI 1
    That’s my bad, I forgot the I

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Cummins 100 fmi 1 is engine oil pressure below critical. What are you actually getting at idle with the engine up to temp?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.