MACK ANTHEM 2020 "distance alert"

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Teporocho, Aug 12, 2020.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Those mitigation systems are a pain. You think the alarm is bad. Just wait till it throws the brakes on and shuts the engine down.
    I had a truck that did this with a car a full lane to the right, exiting the freeway.
    Had other times. A car would be flying down the freeway. Past me. Then a couple hundred yards ahead. It would throw on it's brakes. Although safe. The stinking mitigation system would see it and throw on my brakes and shut me down.
    Hate those things.

meechyaboy and akfisher Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    I've seen some Schneider trucks in NY zip tie some cardboard in front to stop it crying :rolleyes:

Also said drivers were less than 10 feet away from whoever they were following.

4. Gutter

Gutter Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Duluth, Mn
    I had one on a 2020 Volvo. I taped a sardine can lid over the radar in the bumper. It worked awesome for about a day and then the engine de-rated to 50% and threw a bunch of codes until I took it off. I think Mack and Volvo are in cahoots and use the same technology, so I’d leave it alone.
    The engineers have outsmarted us... This time.

5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I see many of these d bags every day. Five feet behind the vehicle in from of them. IDIOTS!!

flood Thanks this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    You don't say...

7. Gutter

Gutter Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Duluth, Mn
    Yep. I did say.. I knew this to be true but never actually looked it up. I know how TTR can be. I didn’t want 58 messages telling me I’m an idiot and Mack and Volvo are totally different. So I was vague on that part of my post. Guess it backfired. Lol.

GreenPete359 Thanks this.
  8. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Mack anthems are built by Volvo.

201 Thanks this.
  9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Volvo/mack are like Chevrolet/gmc

10. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I think you’d have to drive one equipped with adaptive cruise control to understand.

I drive 70 in a 70. Looking far out ahead of me I see I’m coming up on say an England going 63.

I check my mirrors for a safe opportunity to get over to the hammer lane.
    Like usual there’s a few cars going 80.

Option one you can get over hold up the hammer lane and then the cars will hit the right lane to squeeze between you and the slower truck.

Option two you can hit the go pedal and over ride the adaptive cruise causing it to beep like an alarm clock.

Option three let the adaptive cruise do it’s thing and it will slow you down to 63 and keep a very large distance between you and the truck in front of you.

A lot of drivers go with option one. A lot drivers can only go 65. Trucks drive for miles in the hammer lane at 65 to pass a 63mph truck because they don’t want to listen to the alarm clock all day.

I’m not whining just stating what driving a new truck is like in 2020.

11. calnca

calnca Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Bella Vista, AR
    How about the 6 P's......
    Prior Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance

Could always turn the cruise OFF, so the alarm doesn't bug you.....make your pass, and turn it back on after you pass......so many options in life.......

Goodysnap and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.