Mack Rear End

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Smellfunny, May 30, 2024.

1. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Have a truck here that went over on it's side and the power divider cap got damaged. There are five bolts that hold it on and I thought it just slipped off but that isn't happening. Is there something I am missing or is the internals bent and holding it? Part 24 in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    I apologize as I have no idea, but just had to click on your post because it was too funny for my taste. Mack rear end title that's posted by smellfunny? Roflmao

W923 Thanks this.
  4. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    It slips off
    Do you get any movement or solid like a rock

5UG and Smellfunny Thank this.
  5. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Using pry bars I got about 1 inch away from the housing. Have not been back under there today yet.

6. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Well then it’s not just stuck on with silicone
    Possibly binding on the piston…honestly sometimes just the seal can put up a fight
    Unrelated story about silicone…I was working on a farm tractor and had the transmission split apart under the operator feet ended up that parts were going to be several months. I don’t want it in the shop that long so I put silicone in place of the gasket and bolt back together put it outside for a couple months and when it was time to take it back apart to fix it that silicone would literally hold the tractor together with no bolts…

5UG and Smellfunny Thank this.
  7. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Wow.

8. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I found a used cover late Friday. I had to meet someone to get it and only had enough time to get the driveshaft back in and get it pulled in the shop so I can start on it Monday. Found a gasket but it was old and brittle so I will probably just use some gray silicone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.