Made decision to be my own man and not leech off my rich father

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Trucks66

Trucks66 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    My father is rich. He made it from the ground up in the oil business. My dad always told me that as a man, I need to be able to stand up on my own two feet and face the cold harsh realities of the world like a man is supposed to, so he told me once I turned 18, I would have to move out and become my own man. I am his only son and have 3 older sisters (all are older than me) but they are allowed to stay at his home as long as they want. I resented him at the time for basically kicking me out. I got a job at a pizza shop and rented out a room at a small place for not much money. I was promoted to manager which I did for a few years and saved every penny I could. Unfortunately, I ran into a couple of problems that dwindled my savings and was hurting financially.

My father called me during that time to ask how everything was going. I told him about the financial set backs that recently occurred and he said "that's what happens in life, son. Brush it off. You have to keep fighting. If you want me to give you some money, I will. But do you want to ask another man for help? Or do you want to handle this business yourself?" I told him "I'll take care of it". He then told me "that's my boy. Handle your business."

Thinking how I was going to get out of my situation. I decided to quit my pizza job and get into trucking. Went through a mega and they walked me through everything I needed, then they sent me off to one of their training facilities where I stayed at their motel and learned everything I could while there. Got my CDL and did my time with a mentor. I have been trucking ever since.

My dad called me today to ask how everything was going and was happy to hear how great everything is. He told me that how he pushed me out of the house may have seemed harsh, but told me he did it because he said as a man, I'm supposed to make a living for myself and to not take handouts from another mans wallet. If I want something, I have to go and get it. He said my sisters are allowed to live with him because it's not a womans responsibility to fend for herself as it is a mans world and a man is supposed to fend for her. He said he is looking for the right men to come along that can demonstrate to him that they can provide for his daughters. Anyways, he told me just today that he was proud of me not looking to another man for any help.

So yeah everyone. I may not have much, but what I do have, I've worked very hard for. Now that I have enough experience, I'm going to be leaving the mega to a better paying company. I have a mortgage and a couple of cars and even a girlfriend!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Good luck is when opportunity meets hard work.

4. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    What a dick. Good to be independent though.

fss99701, PE_T, De Trucker and 5 others Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    True. Lots of “luck” is effectively made possible by working smart and creating openings for “luck” to rise to the surface where all you have to do is grab it.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Nice going on your part.
    So much for the progress of women’s lib. Your dad thinks a gal should lounge around and mooch off a man for a living, they are going to be really screwed up in the future.
    You, on the other hand will do just fine.

Brettj3876, cleanbyrd, PE_T and 15 others Thank this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    A dick is exactly what you get if you just hand your kid every thing he needs in life.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Let’s all hope your dad falls on bad times financially and you can laugh as he freezes out in the cold.

9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018

LMAO Your a mean person.

10. BCV

BCV Light Load Member

May 26, 2018
    Nice job on making it happen. You can accomplish anything you want in this world.. It all boils down to how bad you want it.

11. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Wow, cool story. You should go to hollywood and write movies for weinstein.

cleanbyrd, Slim51, PE_T and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.