Made to use PC to leave shippers/receivers to benefit the company

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by XroadwarriorX, May 21, 2024.

1. XroadwarriorX

XroadwarriorX Bobtail Member

May 21, 2024
    So like the title says, I work for a company that consistently has us use personal conveyance to leave shippers and receivers even when we have hours of service. They do this so that we stay on an off-duty status to continue our break. For example, we could be at a receiver for 3 hours and they want us to PC out that way 7 hours later we will have hours to roll and meet deadlines that they set regardless of if we get any sleep or not. I know that it is legal to PC out of a shipper or receiver if you run out of HOS, but is it legal to do when you have hours of service and it is for the benefit of the company of getting more loads in or done. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing it sometimes and it actually helps in some cases to get more miles, but it can get pretty ridiculous sometimes running with not enough sleep. In closing I guess basically I'm asking is it legal for us and or the company to do this?

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    a few thoughts ...

do you work as a 1099 contractor?

Are you a slave?

Do you mind putting your CDL on the line for the company?

You do know that PC is supposed to be use to go to get food or to a place to sleep, it shoudn't be used for anything else.

Others will be of the opinion that I am wrong and you can use it as you want but the problem is they are not the cop who pulls you over or does an inspection to your log to see all these PC hours, which can get you put OOS not for just 10 but 34 hours and one hell of a fine.

Bean Jr., Bud A., bryan21384 and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've used it Illegally at a place in Texas. Deliver to a chemical plant, then out of driving hours. PC to the nearest truck stop which was well over an hour away. There was nowhere else to take a 10 hour break. The chemical plant didn't allow staying on the property after unloading. They couldn't care less about log violations; just leave the property. This was pulling hazmat tankers also.
    One of the drivers got caught by the company doing that and was almost fired. Told him, if he ever does that again, he's fired.

TX2Day, Bean Jr., Bud A. and 3 others Thank this.
  5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    That sounds like a horrible situation to be in, when you do get pegged it's going to be ugly. Ever heard the phrase "officer's discretion"? Tons of PC use is a red flag in my opinion.

No worries though, the FMCSA, NTSB, Mayor Pete, PETA, AARP, NCAA, LGBwhatevers are all on the way to stop the nonsense.
    raw.gif

Siinman, snowlauncher and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Why do you think it’s legal to pc some where safe if you’re out of hours ? Where is that posted on fmcsa or dot rules?

7. XroadwarriorX

XroadwarriorX Bobtail Member

May 21, 2024
    tscottme, Suspect Zero and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Rookie driver 956 and Siinman Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    “Legally” would be able to stand in a DOT audit that can happen suddenly at any time.

That’s not the issue. Sometimes, you want to run and it works for you. Some times you don’t and you don’t have the spine to hold your ground. What’s the real issue? The spine.

As far as legalities go, be careful what you wish for.

Six back quiet.

Tb0n3, Bean Jr. and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.