Magnet Dot numbers on aluminum ford..

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Xray4, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Hey guys. The truck I'll be running for the next few months is my daily driver, aluminum body ford..
    Are stickers instead of magnetic number signs unavoidable? Has anyone had luck finding something removable for these new Ford's?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steamnsteel

Steamnsteel Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I saw someone the other day that used a sign that was mounted into the bed rail pockets, I thought that it looked pretty good and should be easily removed as well.

alds, singlescrewshaker and Lite bug Thank this.
  4. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    There's an idea, huh, genius. because there aren't really any regulations as to where it needs to be on the vehicle, it just needs to be visible from 50 feet during the day..

5. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Most of those guys just get stickers made up at a graphics design place and put them on the rear windows. That way it won’t fade or mess up the paint.

6. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    I'm trying to avoid that because the truck is my daily driver when I'm home, so taking numbers off when in PC status would be good. Keep DOT and others from double takes

7. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Your Non-trucking/bobtail policy covers you for personal use so it really shouldn’t matter if you are driving it around at home.

8. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    True. I still don't want the numbers on when I'm not driving for hire. I like the bedrail idea, looking into throwing something up like that, will post pics!

9. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    I'm wondering now if I can just put it on the trailer instead of on the truck. I just drove by a 350 pulling a dump trailer that had dot numbers on the little dump trailer

10. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    When your numbers are new DOT looks at you often. Anything out of the normal you get closer look. Numbers on the trailer might be ok but it will be different. Even the magnet can be taken as not serious, a SWD 350 can pull the sign providing no trailer and be a non commercial vehicle. Pull into scale and your tarp is tattered or sloppy they might look at you. Give them no reason because when you are new you will get stopped often. No biggie but sometimes can be a hassle.

Xray4 Thanks this.
  11. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I’m pretty sure you have to have your numbers somewhere on the power unit so as to be visible from at least 50 feet away from the sides of the truck. Some guys get away with smaller placards or stickers I’m sure, long as it’s on there somewhere

Xray4 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.