Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I know. But I figured I would mention miles so you had more information about the line haul side as well.

Nateman482 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    One other thing to note. The line haul guys do not get bonuses like otr. It's just whatever your milage rate is.

Nateman482 Thanks this.
  4. Nateman482

Nateman482 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2019
    I appreciate that info! I'm not a night guy, so if/when I go local it would be p&d for sure. Based on what everyone has told me at Coon Rapids, 11-12 hours a day is the norm. That would be amazing.

I'm seriously considering talking to Dave about this Tuesday. I would have to rent an apartment, but I'd be able to see my fiance (most) weekends... and be home every night... for more money... then we could list the house and buy something close to Coon Rapids.

5. Metal cowboy

Metal cowboy Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    You might want to Recalculate pay Unless you plan to stay out 52 weeks and never go home, Going out 6 weeks and coming home 7 days is around 41.5 working weeks out of the year.
    Its only around 50k first year no where near 63k :)

Nateman482 Thanks this.
  6. Nateman482

Jul 1, 2019
    Yep very basic numbers. Didn't spend too much time on it. Appreciate the advice!

7. Metal cowboy

Aug 21, 2019
    You'll probably hit 42k-44k after taxes, and that means your maxing out your bonuses, Going home a week really Destroys that bonus for the Month.

Nateman482 Thanks this.
  8. Nateman482

Jul 1, 2019
    Here's a more realistic estimate of the difference in first year pay between OTR and P&D.

Edit: $16,725 more for P&D, not $4,600

Also, these OTR numbers are still flawed due to factoring in the bonuses that I wouldnt get if I take 10 weeks off a year. Too hard to calculate. Basically, P&D is both a better value for your time and more gross pay. I might look into renting an apartment and going that route.... we'll see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  9. Metal cowboy

Aug 21, 2019
    Oh yeah Ltl always Pays more, You'll earn it though :) and Otr pays more for the Single guys, Heck easily at 70k if you could run every week and never need to go home

Nateman482 Thanks this.
  10. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    OTR is great if you're single and living in the truck or don't have an LTL option, or just like to keep it moving. Not everyone is built to be repetitive. Line haul is very repetitive and boring. Every company and barn is different. I work for a big yard. We have a shop, 62 doors, fuel island, etc. That is big for us, even a truck wash. Starting for us is $23 an hour up to $30 an hour, essentially no OT. Line haul starts at 50 cpm and tops at 70 cpm plus accessory pay for fuel and hooks/drops. Some barns have day runs, some are night only. Some times you have to start nights and in a couple years can go days. Running refrigerator for magnum, you'll get some night shifts, no way around it.

I'm just letting you know. Its a pros and cons game. I thought p&d was for me and turns out, I love that easy money. I run wild so my runs can be canada or state side, big or small. The smallest we run puts me at 70k at 380 miles plus hooking and dropping 2 sets and a fuel. I typically run 2,790 miles a week. I gross over 80k a year and I'm not at full scale. My last check was $1560 take home for one week. I don't see less than $1020 take home and average $1200+ right now per week take home. Our top bid guys break 90k, easy. Our city guys will never see that kind of money. To put it into perspective, working 50-55 hours a week in the city would bring home $850-900 a week. I do 55 hours line haul and bring in over $1200 a week. Big difference. It is what it is. It's like selling your soul to the devil for money.

11. RoadCall

RoadCall Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2012
    No doubt about any of that, line haul is where it’s at but most freight companies don’t let you run line haul off the street, you have to run p&d first for most of them. And p&d is def work, plus when you’re all done and get back to the yard you get to help unload and then load the line haul trailers. Fun stuff, especially in the extreme weather.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Ray Strack and ncmickey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.