Maintenance numbers for older trucks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Well there's nothing wrong with buying new or with wrenching on the old. It's a shame though that the new seems to be in many cases unreliable and overly complicated. But I would never act like someone should run an old truck. Everybody got to do what they got to do.

But I do have to say that with a brand new truck you would have a higher insurance cost. And I've never liked having payments on anything I would find that to be very stressful myself.

It may very well work for some people, but while you're making the payment on the new truck it's wearing out. Whatever you do to the old truck you're breathing new life into it. Complete opposites.

Some would look at something like putting a new transmission in as a detriment. I would look at that and think how many miles and how many years and how far I can go with it. That's one thing down I don't have to worry about. And a brand new transmission or brand new King Pins would make your truck feel brand new again. I've never been afraid to put money back into equipment that makes me money, and I would enjoy the feel of a brand new transmission as long as the truck is making me money.

Neither way is wrong, it's just how you look at it. I've always worked on all my cars and trucks and equipment. I like it when I know my vehicles inside out. As the other person said earlier, when you really know your vehicle well you can tell when something is changing and you can many times realize something is going to happen before it does.

But for me there would be no worse feeling than having to take my truck to a shop somewhere and someone give me a colossal bill over some electronic mumbo jumbo.

I don't mean that as a put-down to anyone who drives a newer truck. I just don't like electronic nonsense. But if you are planning on running something older, you better get real comfortable with grabbing a wrench and just doing it. And learning how to bulletproof things and approaching things from a pre-emptive point of view.

Best of luck to everyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Glad so this got off track so quickly

Rideandrepair and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Just for anybody thinking a late 90s truck is old, this gem is a 71 and still working, with a gross weight limit of 85,500 right on the side. 20181119_231548.jpg 20181119_231609.jpg

5. Dogman22

Dogman22 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2018
    whats the mpg on this dino :D ?

6. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Probably pretty good fuel mileage with a load of straw blankets on. Nice truck.

7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Super nice truck!!!

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    That's gallons to the mile. No truck payment though. Cheap insurance.

9. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    Well, even if rates drop in 19, they'll be better for me than this year.

As of right now 2018
    Total miles <.1
    Cpm > $698,974.26
    Total Revenue $0.
    On the bright side, if I can put a mile on, my cpm will go down really fast lol.

10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Nice Car

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    1994 peterbilt,2010 utility reefer year to date $17,053.68 avg 70-75k miles a year. I budget.25 cent a mile for maintenance. So will be pretty close this year. Hopefully next year will be down a little bit nearly $7k of this years money spent on tires and brakes all around,so should be good for a few years on that part.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.