Major Hurricane Florence Landfalling Hatteras Light NC

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by x1Heavy, Sep 11, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Impressive, but this is one of many cat 4 and 5 hurricanes that will have impacted the US in modern history.

List of United States hurricanes - Wikipedia

Hurr-uslandfalling-1950-2007.jpg

And many say that older hurricanes (before the sustained wind measurement tools we have today) were more often probably underestimated rather than over-estimated. And factoring in increased coastal populations and real estate values, it's difficult to draw realistic comparisons other than to say more people are directly affected today, than in decades past, just due to population expansion to coastal areas.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah haven’t been on much. Had to have 2 urgent surgeries and a week in the hospital. Just got out still trying to recover. Now this. I’m 2 hours from Myrtle Beach. So will see how this plays out.

4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

I'm about two miles out from the mainland. ;) So yea..you could say I'm on the coast.

This is the main land o---------x - is me.

[​IMG]

If you look to the far right and see where Hatteras, Nags Head, etc are...that's me.

An I'm not riding it out for fun, I'm riding it out cause my wife needs to be here for work. Til they shut down her place..we stay. We got media staying, along with power crews and other such types. So I don't expect them to shut it down unless #### goes super south and fast. I'd be a pretty crappy husband if I just said..."Peace, I'm going to <insert non-hurricane affected state here>" and bounced out, at lest in my opinion. Plus...I'm well aware of the consequences of my actions. I've had to leave next of kin info with the cops, etc. I know not to expect any help of any kind, etc etc etc. Not my first rodeo with the hurricanes.

I'm not making light of the storm though. I just choose to not be all "We're going to DIE OMFG!". I'll leave that to the Weather Channel and various other media outlets.

Scary stuff and sex bring in the headlines an sales. Just look at any news show these days. Heh.

Sirscrapntruckalot - I do not like sandbags Sam I am.

drvrtech77, x1Heavy, 25(2)+2 and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Yes, all TWC is good for is trying to scare people for ratings. They even do it with snow storms now. I lost respect for them long ago when I saw how some of their field people act. An Al Roker is a jerk..lol. An yes they really do hate Jim Cantori or however you spell his name down here.

Anyhow...ya'll be safe out there.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Riders on the storm... - The Doors.

drvrtech77 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Wow,
    Yeah you have to stay with the wife.
    Good luck to you and keep us updated.
    @x1Heavy and you can keep us all updated

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll do what I can I have a number of commitments coming up three days in a row. But generally I'll update one more time come the morning tomorrow and that will probably be the final because when storms start chomping on the people, property and such there is way too much to keep up with.

That's the other thing about the net, there are many who will keep up a situation for those who might need it.

Right now there isnt anything drastic so far, the storm is coming in and beginning to degrade just a touch. It will still be a huge problem when the time comes sometime tomorrow.

tucker Thanks this.
  8. Sirscrapntruckalot

Long as the internet lasts, the updates will come. Photos to if possible!

An thank you.

Sirscrapntruckalot - The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind...- Bob Dylan

9. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Love the pictures. I was raised near Lake Michigan and really miss the water. You might want to put your name and next of kin contact info on your body somewhere with a permanent marker, just in case. After the horror stories of Hurricane Katina in the MS region even, do you have a chainsaw in case you have to get on the roof. Be safe, but.. getting out is safer.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Speaking of stupid media, I recall one where a reporter used a canoe in like 4 inches of water. Did not fool me. However when that one came out as a sham that was worth a storm all of itself.

I don't recall any storm that there is such a long lead time to formation, then across the ocean and still waiting for the #### thing to get it over with. Probably not till monday. Makes me think of some of the places Ive been waiting for a dock.

25(2)+2 and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  11. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    We just didn't have the coverage constantly on weather like it is now. I do think they like to hype it up a lot. But I do remember going through the Galveston area a year later after Rita hit, and all the devastation, I believe they had found a body they think had been in the hurricane.

And they are talking about rain till next Monday or Tuesday now also.

Sirscrapntruckalot, tucker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.