Making a broker show the cards

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by aiwiron, Apr 17, 2012.

1. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    I got a laugh out of this post. If I ever feel like to much is being chopped of the rate I just ask is it double brokered or what percentage the broker is charging. If I don't like it I say no thank you. I have taken a lower rate when some incentive was offered like immediate com chek payment versus mailed in thirty day payment. I try and evaluate each potential load on it's on merits.
    But I found it a interesting post and never knew the information posted might make for some entertainment with a broker that has pissed me off.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    In 2004(?) a company tried to force RMX to disclose and it was dismissed. I don't know if there has been a successful filing since de-regulation. How many O/O's leased to someone waits more than 14 days to be payed? Carrier has 14 day's to pay(not work days)leased operators after receipt of supporting documents. Or carriers that discount/quick pay/factor and pass that on to the leased operators?

4. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Or they can pay based on the terms of the contract. The 14-days is only if there is no agreement in place.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    If your tarif is 15(excuse me not 14)days no contract can alter that time frame. Common practice is to change to the shippers terms. If operating under common authority only that can't be changed. Thats why many brokers/shippers require a agreement to be signed under contract authority(if dual authority)

6. wichris

Jan 17, 2011
    If your speaking of a carrier paying a lease operater it is 15 days max(again 14 was on my mind) No contract can change that and be legal. Again regulations are broken/mis-used every day. That one is pretty clear in 376.12F

7. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Why don't people just stop taking freight for rates they don't like, problem solved. Nobody can force someone to put something on their truck. I will never understand why people will take freight and then complain about the rate as though they had no signed rate confirmation. I hope no one is taking freight and saying to a broker "let me know the rate once I deliver".

grizzly Thanks this.
  8. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    So you are saying that you are cheating the broker by cutting his rate to 10%?.

9. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Really? O.K. I think you get the point of what I am trying to say.... My ultimate point is some brokers do try to get away with it even if the spread in my example is not that high it helps to make it an even playing field...but hey I guess it doesn't matter cause people will haul what they want

10. Big Jay

Big Jay Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2011
    litchfield, mn
    Who really cares? If a load fits what I need I take it, haul it, deliver it. If someone made a killing off of me, more power to them. Tomorrow it may be my turn. It is not my place to say things are unfair, it is my place to do the best I can for myself.

Jay

86scotty Thanks this.
  11. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Sure they might have to pay too, or they can counter sue and ask to court fee reimbursement.

Or

You can ask the broker what rate he is willing to pay. Either accept it and be happy. Or keep looking for another load.

Seriously, if you have to go so far as to sue your broker over the rate. Why the hell are you working with them to begin with? Makes no sense to me...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.