Making it Work

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by squaredeal, Aug 27, 2010.

1. squaredeal

squaredeal Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Phoenix AZ
    I have been reading everyone's comments and questions about May and the trucking industry. I have learned much from many different drivers. I have been driving for over 20 years and really appreciate this web site because it gives us a chance to share our experiences, good or bad.

Just like many truck drivers I have much of the same concerns: 1) How many miles will I be driving per week? 2) How often will I be home and for how long? 3) Are they just another "training company" for newbies? What about experienced drivers? 4) Will they treat me with respect?

The first thing that I have alway had to address is my relationship with my family. OTR driving requires sacrifice on many different levels. For me it has been long hours behind the wheel, bad weather, difficulty in staying healthy and homesickness (yes, even after 20 years).

I am married to an incredibly strong woman. The old cliche' "Behind every good man stands a good woman" has been around a long time and every word of it has been true for me. My wife is an AMAZING woman.

Getting good miles requires proper trip planning and good communication with my DM. She needs to know where I will be, when I will be there and how many hours I will have available when empty. It is hard to manage your resources when you don't know what they are.

There have been and always will be Entry Level Drivers. Some of us "old" guys (I am only 52) will have to hang up our keys someday and America relies on truckers to get what they need when they need it. I believe that helping new drivers get a good start in this profession is important. It's not for everybody and many will choose to go another route after a few weeks on the road. If it were not for an experienced driver who cared, I would not have made it in 1987 when I started.

Unfortunately, when you treat people with respect, you do not always get the same in return. My experience with May has been one of mutual respect.

Looking forward to hearing more from the road......

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    It's nice to hear things are working out for you.

You are right on about everything you've stated especially about new drivers and
    everyone needing a helping hand at one point or another, and also about respect.

It's also good to hear that some "ole timers" are willing to help the "newbies" of this
    industry get off on the right foot and get a good start. Maybe you helping out
    will keep some from being just a "steering wheel holder" and actually becoming
    a "trucker".

And for that I applaud you!

NorthWest Wonder Thanks this.
  4. NorthWest Wonder

NorthWest Wonder Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Gilbert, Az
    those are some great words from both of you, being a newbie myself it's really great to hear things like this, honestly almost brings a tear to my eye knowing how caring most of you can be, i believe in "treat others as you would like to be treated" and it's just great to hear that there are still truckers out there willing to lend a helping hand. i'll be one of those helpful ole truckers one day, just gonna take a few years, there needs to be more individuals like yourselves out there teaching us greenhorns that this aint a game or a job, it's a lifestyle, a duty... i was Born to help people, i'm the guy that will pull over on the highway to help a stranded motorist and i'm always there to lend a hand if someone needs one, guess it's my down home country roots stickin with me, but i wish there was more of that and less road raging 4-wheelers in a hurry to get nowhere. well guys i've rambled on long enough, you take it easy and remember that you choosing to help out the new guys, may not appear to sink in at the time, but i assure you, your advice will stick with them. i appreciate everything you guys do. take care now, maybe i'll see you out there. 8)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.