Making more money with food delivery and rideshare .

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kay_ray, Nov 26, 2022.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    ahh ok. I’m guessing it would be similar to a truck, if it’s only used for work. But the numbers can be off a bit I’m sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If your in a college town you can make out pretty good. One of my friends does Uber on the weekends in Binghamton and drives a school bus during the week

JoeyJunk and Siinman Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's the fallacy and imperfections that human evolution brought upon us with a primitive concept of a clock.
    We can't possibly measure time. Not by a clock, not even by the Earth revolutions around the sun. Or any calendar for that matter.
    Remember the days when you were a child. The time went slow. Too slow. Time passage for a child Is a torture.
    When you get older, the passage flows faster. Scary fast. So fast that in some cultures, people feel that they must build or prepare their burial sites, even though, their departure isn't imminent yet.
    We, free humans, should free ourselves from the two enslaving chains; money and time.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Joe, the word that you need to add is perception.

Everyone has a different perception of time, it isn't linear, we don't all look at it the same way nor act on it the same.

JoeyJunk and Siinman Thank this.
  6. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    abracadabra!

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. peabody747

peabody747 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2022
    so I tried rideshare a few years ago, but naturally had the wrong vehicle for it, gas gussling suv lol. So I lost money to the gas bill. But in the right market let's say chicago, there definitely was a decent paycheck to be has.

But by no means can you compare the possible revenue a semi can turn vs ride share stuff

8. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Revenue and net profit are very different things .

9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    One important detail about doing rideshare or food delivery is that those are generally only an option for big city or large metro area dwellers. There are some people who do it around here in my relatively small metro area and I don't have any idea if they can make an actual living doing it. Seems to me like you'd be better off just getting a regular W2 job with a modest hourly pay rate and skip the tax and accounting hassle of being an IC 1099'er.

I never drove Uber/Lyft but I did drive yellow taxi in NY for about a year when I lived over there. Not having to worry about the car was nice, so whatever you walked away with at the end of the night was yours to live on minus maybe 20% for tax time. Overall though it was a stressful low paying job especially once Uber and Lyft started flooding the place. Yellow guys used to be able to go out and make a couple hundred bucks on a slow night...modest money IMO for what you have to put up with. When I did it back in 2015 it got way worse. Some slow nights I'd walk away with $100 or less and it was simply because there was not enough customers to go around once Uber started flooding the market with cars.

10. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    That's always been one of the major controversies with rideshare companies is whether you as the driver should be properly classified as an independent contractor if the company can use coercion tactics and essentially forced dispatches drivers under penalty of being de-leased or suspended or whatever they can come up with for being a naughty driver. Of course they don't care if the ride is profitable or worth the driver's time...they get their cut either way so they never want rides to be refused, but the question is how far should they be allowed to go with that before they legally have to classify the driver as an employee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.