Making my 98' W9L turn a little shorter?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by WHY NOT, Oct 19, 2019.

1. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I currently keep my stops set so I can keep the steer box shiny when turning to the right. Running 22.5 low pro's. I was wondering if newer W900's have different front axles that help them turn a little tighter to the right. If they do does anyone know what it would take to swap on onto the truck. I can get around now but a little extra would be nice and to not have to carry spray paint to keep my steering box black just incase of an inspection.

-Matt

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What year W9 do you have, iirc the A models had a shorter axle with a larger turning radius, but the Bs are different. Is your steering box behind or in front of the axle, the reason I ask is it is in front on mine and I have my stops all the way in, the tire can rub the pitman arm, but can't touch the box itself.

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Do you happen to know, what year they went to the wider axle? From what I have gathered, the b's are wider than the A's, but did not know they widened them again?

5. WHY NOT

WHY NOT Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I would like to know the same thing, when did the axle get wider and if anything else was involved in changing them, leafs shackles etc etc.

starmac Thanks this.
  6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The wide track on Spicer steer axles has a "W" at end of model #. I know we had 05 Pete's with them. All about specing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.