Making the leap int a lease. Can get a few thoughts???

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by ther3v3r, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ther3v3r

ther3v3r Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    I am looking at doing a lease purchase. I will make sure it is a walk away lease. I do want to be an O/O but I am checking to see if I like doing it. I am a business major and the lease could also help out with school credit as well. I am trying to figure out which company I want to go with. I have spoken to several places. I like three of them, Hirschbach because of the guaranteed maintenance and guarantee .999 fuel price, maintance includes tires. Pay is .80 cpm no mountains. Only issue is I have lots of trouble getting ahold of recruiter. Run west of the Rockies. Turck is 2009 ProStar+ at $459 a week. Orientation is in Indiana and I am in Colorado.

Western Flyer express low payments for older truck can pay off in 12-24 months. Bumper to bumper warranty does not include tires but a huge discount. Payments are $300 a week for a 2007 KW T2000. They have a discount for fuel. The pay is $1.05 cpm plus FSC. No mountains at least not very often. Mostly run south of the 40. They say that they will burn out hours almost every week and if willing to work will get about 3,000 miles. Their orientation is only 9 hours from where I live.

Or Greatwide. Truck is $500 a week, pay is 75% line haul. .43 cents a gallon fuel discount. Warranty and I can pick my own loads from their board. I would not get fsc, and I can run where I want. I hear that Greatwide has an awesome board but I am not sure. Dispatcher is also recruiter and he seems great. THe other three no money down this one I need to put a grand down. And their maintance is in escrow. As much as I can. Their orientation is online and UA is done locally. I will get dispatched from my home for pay.

I did think if KLLM, but I really do not want to do hazmat.

Can I get any thoughts? Would I make more money with line haul or miles. I am trying to decide which one is better. I know it is hard to do the lease, but I understand business to a point. I just want to get my feet yet. Thanks!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Leap back into being a company driver... You only have one years experience I would get a little more....

Meltom and rockyroad74 Thank this.
  4. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Please dont. I've leased twice before for different companies.

5. ther3v3r

ther3v3r Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    I actually have over two years. It just will not change for me.

6. ther3v3r

ther3v3r Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado

I want to be an o/o. At least I think I want to. I was thinking about l/p because I want to see if I can handle it. Because if not I can just walk away Then go finance one straight out if I can handle it. Does anyone think that is a good plan? Also, it would cover about $6,000 of my degree if I did it for 3 months or so.

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You don't have a plan, you have a concept, at best.

You're business major and you have 2 years experience as a driver ... build your PnL business model with your business objectives and start plugging in the numbers from your target companies, determine which best fits your needs, build your action plans, execute and manage your outputs.

If you need input from this board to make a decision, you're not ready yet. After 2 years you already know if you can handle being a driver ... if you don't know whether or not you can handle running a business, you're in the wrong major.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  8. ther3v3r

ther3v3r Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    My main confusion lies in I really do not understand percentage pay. I have researched it from an accounting perspective even in scholarly guides. I cannot tell which way would be better. I know under percentage there is no fuel surcharge or payment of deadhead miles, but is it worth it if the line haul pays enough?
    Now that I reread my original post I understand what you are saying. I do not know which company would be better. I was hoping someone would know a little more about them. Hirschbach has almost nothing anywhere. Greatwide has only people speculating that they are good. And Western Express on this site has lots of positive info on them. But, there is also lots of people that are really made at them as well.

As not sure if I can handle it, I should have elaborated. I am starting law school but I am postponing it till 2015. As per Bar regulations one cannot work more than 20 hours in a single week while a student. They recommend no job during first year because it averages 60 hours a week for school. That is what I am not sure I can handle. I am not sure if I am going to like having to be gone a full month at a time to build enough savings to straight out purchase my own truck. I am home every week or every other week at worst. I have been driving but I am not sure if I want to do it to pay for law school.

It would be so much easier if I was going to go to law school in Wyoming and was a resident. It is only about $6k a year verses $30k+ at Liberty.

9. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    If you are going to law school, starting a business is not a good idea ... to succeed at a business, any business, it takes time and sacrifice ...

rockyroad74 Thanks this.
  10. ther3v3r

ther3v3r Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Colorado
    True. Like I said, I am getting school credit which is why I want something that is walk away. Having a business will count as my capstone. If I can get the truck paid off and do like one or two runs a month for extra cash. So I do not have to live off student loans and I can keep some sort of savings.

11. select stay

select stay Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2011
    greeley co
    i been driveing 11 yers cdl a and i have always wanted to do a lease purshase but one thing for sure if u have faith steo out god will proveil if u dont step out fear gets in the way and the devil wins ur choice my reason for not doing lease is i have had other things to over come first with drinking wich i will have a year clean on the 10 amen cause i have let jesus take control of my life and let it b his will not mine

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.