Manager wants to ride with me?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JSanborn103, May 13, 2021.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    And when you walk in the office they have all your personnel records on their desk, and they tell you "close the door".
    Until then, don't worry.
    I used to work for a tanker outfit that would send every new office person on a couple of ride-alongs. Sometimes the dispatcher would go, just to get out and away from the telephone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities

OR

This may clear it up...

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Our Operations Manager rides with me all the time.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    For dinner the night before, have eggs(pickled), sour kraut, cabbage, and some spicy Mexican food, washed down with the cheapest rot-gut beer you can handle. The next day, you will be leaning on one cheek, and letting them rip. Be sure and remove the fuse for the passenger side power window.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Stagg Dynamite Hot Chili strait from the can.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Years ago a buddy of mine who is a Minneapolis based milk and dairy products hauler was informed somebody in management was going ride along on his peddle run to fargo which was a ball buster.
    When the day was over in Fargo my buddy headed for his motel and the management guy asked where he was going to sleep ?
    ...my buddy tossed him a blanket and said not with me and made him sleep on the floor .

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    My advice is to not do anything you do not normally do.
    Do not change your routine just because you have a ride along.

Right now you are doing things as you see fit to do it safely and on time.
    If you change that you will be putting yourself into a position of being less safe.
    And if you hustle more just because someone is there watching you, they may expect that from you in the future.

I learned a long time ago to do things my own way.
    In the long run it has paid off.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You can bet your ### that your manager and everyone of the office dwellers takes an hour long break for every twelve hours of work ! I bet half of em take way more than that, yakking on the phone on personal calls, checking Facebook and eBay , smoke breaks, coffee breaks , chat and office gossip etc etc

Now I drive a company truck that’s a Chevy pickup , and a while back the new fleet manager finds out I’m in the office and shows up with a big printout and starts running his finger down the page;

on may the 13th you went over 80 mph for one point three seconds on I-85
    “Yep, got out of the way of a cop car that had the lights and siren on”

On august 12 and 13 you had 90% idle time.
    “Yep, it was over one hundred degrees at the job site and I left it running all day, so anyone who felt they were getting too hot could get in and rest and cool down”

on February third you had one hundred percent idle time.
    “Dude, it was 21 degrees and freaking snowing , we were freezing our buns off. Did you have the furnace on here in the office?

on March fifth you had 100% brakeing , did you almost hit something ?
    “Almost, but I managed to nail the brakes and missed that dum bass that pulled out in front of me”

The fleet average is 13.9 mpg, your truck averaged 8.4 mpg last month and seven different times you had 100% throttle, why is that ?

“I haven’t hit anything with my truck like two people did last month and I haven’t put diesel in a gas or gas in a diesel like THREE people did last month, and when I haul the bobcat around it sucks down gas like you wouldn’t believe. I gotta run, I have billable work to do at a job site.”

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  10. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    our driver manager would ride with us annually (food service) to conduct a driving/performance review. no biggie. he did not help unload product, he would talk to the customers about us (drivers) and take notes, etc. i was lucky enough to get him on a ridiculous route that i got done 1/4 of the time. we sat at a truck stop on i65 for 5 hours after my 14 hours was up waiting to get rescued. 20 hour day, which was the norm at least once a month for me. the only good coming from it was i got assigned a helper after that. they already monitored rate of delivery, travel time, all of the important business points. they knew i needed help but i never got it because i didn't say anything and was busy trying to get gone in the morning.

Brettj3876 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Im not against tracking numbers and incidents, its probably a really good idea and if you have nothing to measure, youll be flying blind for planning.

All those instances are reasonable in a human world and last i checked i am not a robot, so if i have someone treat me like a robot, i leave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.