Map-21 useage and radius miles?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Professor No-Name, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Professor No-Name

Professor No-Name Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Hey @Long FLD. I seem to remember you talking to me about ag exempt rules one time. Can you please point me in the right direction as to what exactly to google or what link to use to get a grip on how it works an how I can apply it. I looked at all kinds of stuff today and am really confused about it. Coulda maybe used it today but wasn't sure I was gonna get it right. I was led to believe that you could run 150 air miles from the beginning of the source and then again at or within 150 air miles at the end of the trip. But all i could find made it sound like it only applied within the 150 air mile radius beginning to end. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also it made it sound like it's only usable during planting an harvest season. I was under the impression as long as product is ag exempt it didn't matter the time of the year. Again HELP cuz I'm lost!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Green book... Section 395.1 (k) is the regulation you are looking for.

4. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Harvest season is the only time it can be used... But "harvest season" is determined by state legislation... Many western states have legislation that states harvest season all year round.

5. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Agricultural products only... But the exemtion only counts within 150 air miles of a shipper or reciever that is an agricultural facility...

Example: a load of potatoes loading at a farm feshpack facility delivering to a grocery store across the country. Can use the exemption within 150 air miles of the shipper, but not at the receiver.

Nostalgic Thanks this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
  7. Professor No-Name

Nov 26, 2016
    I know about the stuff in the green book but Map-21 added some stuff to that.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  8. Professor No-Name

Nov 26, 2016
    I loaded corn in ky goin to sc. I have the list of exempt commodities. What I am trying to find is an explanation of the map-21 rules an how to apply them. You gave an example of how to use them but I wanna see where that's explained in the regs.

9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    FCMSA site

About MAP-21
    On July 6, 2012, President Obama signed into law a new two year transportation reauthorization bill, the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act ("MAP-21"; P.L. 112-141). This new law includes many important provisions intended to help the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in its important mission to reduce crashes, injuries and fatalities involving large trucks and buses. Many of the provisions in MAP-21 track the Agency's strategic framework to improve commercial motor vehicle (CMV) safety by supporting its three core principles:

1. Raise the bar to enter the industry and operate on our roads;
    2. Hold motor carrier and drivers to the highest safety standards to continue operations; and
    3. Remove the highest risk drivers, vehicles, and carriers from our roads and prevent them from operating.

10. Professor No-Name

Nov 26, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.