MARIJUANA?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by youngGUN, Jan 19, 2009.

1. PowerOfSolitude

PowerOfSolitude Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I'm not about to read all of this very long thread, so the point may have already been made, but ask most anyone who's taken Marinol (synthetic THC), and he'll tell you the effects are very different from those of the smoked or vaporized plant. Marijuana contains 60-something cannabinoids, of which THC is only one. According to an article I read in New Scientist, the cannabinoids CBN and CBD have mitigating effects on THC, which is the element that's mostly responsible for paranoia, nervousness, hallucinations, delusions, etc. When you take Marinol, you get THC and no other cannibinoids. If you think regular stoners are paranoid and stupid, FDA-approved stoners are likely worse. I've also read--though I'm less confident on this one, as I can't remember the source--that the marijuana plant contains something that induces mild relaxation just by being inhaled, with no burning or vaporization necessary. The point is that when the FDA claims that "medical marijuana already exists--it's called Marinol" (a direct quotation from their site), they're full of #### to their eyeballs. Nothing beats the real deal, as many nausea-wracked chemotherapy patients can attest.

On another note, I find it amusing, and curious, that debates on the dangerousness of the Evil Weed so frequently omit any mention of the possibility of vaporizing rather than smoking the stuff. I have it on good authority--the best, in fact--that not only does a quality vaporizer spare one's lungs and throat a great deal of aggravation; it can make a given amount of weed last literally four times as long. Uncle Sam really ought to do a study. Even if the results were obscenely slanted, as they surely would be, the very existence of the study would at least bring vaporizers into the public eye. No need at all to smoke your marijuana.

Just to show that I'm not entirely biased, I did read about a study done on pilots which showed that marijuana can mildly impair judgment for days after the most recent use. Also, a Harvard study showed that heavy users experienced cognitive impairment for up to 30 days after cessation. If these things are true, truckers certainly shouldn't be allowed to use it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CA_Medicine_Woman

CA_Medicine_Woman Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Oak Creek, WI
    Again, I've done extensive study in this area, regarding prescription medications (including narcotics, aka opiate based drugs, and marijuana).

According to FMCSA rules, you may operate a CMV if you are taking prescribed medications, provided that (in writing) both you and your medical doctor believe you have adjusted to and overcome any potential side effects to be able to operate 100% safely. There are other rules regarding how you must carry medications in original containers, take them as prescribed (they will count your pills if you get in an accident or are being drug tested), etc. But that letter you and your doctor sign is the "Holy Grail" on this topic.

Motor carriers, however, can refuse to allow you to drive a CMV. They are free to establish any rules in that area that are equal to or more strict than federal requirements. But that letter, should they employ you, lets them off the hook if you wreck because of the prescribed meds. Your doctor will definitely face serious consequences (as will you) if that happens. Most docs won't sign off unless you've been on a particular medication for several weeks, which means several weeks out of work if you are dealing with a chronic pain issue.

When it comes to medical marijuana, two things. One, the FMCSA does not recognize cannabis as a legally prescribed drug, nor does it recognize that it is completely legal for all adults in two states. Federal law controls CDL's and CMV's, so no to medical marijuana for truckers. IF you were once prescribed it, EVER, get that in writing from the doc that prescribed it, and make sure they document when you were no longer prescribed (you should have stopped taking it at that point). This includes Marinol and other marijuana substitutes by the pharmaceutical industry.

So far as I'm concerned, as someone who uses cannabis for medical reasons (pain control and to deal with side effects from other drugs so I will take them as required), if you are being prescribed marijuana, you do not belong behind the wheel of any commercial vehicle. I won't even drive my own vehicle after using it, and I'm what my friends refer to as "a lightweight," meaning I don't use that much (just enough to deal with pain and other meds). If your medical condition is bad enough that marijuana is a viable option, you likely are medically disqualified from operating a commercial vehicle anyway, due to whatever condition is being treated (mine is CRPS Type II, Stage 3, I may never be able to return to trucking as there is no "cure" per se).

Marijuana can stay in your system for as long as six months, depending upon your size and body fat level (I'm skinny, so it's out quick). Even if recreational use was legalized at the federal level (unlikely right now), like alcohol, if you have it in your system, you get shut down. Your carrier can then fire you if they wish, for cause (meaning no unemployment benefits). This also applies to Intrastate drivers in Colorado and Washington. Federal trumps state, though even those states agree with the feds on this one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.