Mark S. @ Fine Tune CB (Hardrive)

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Evvy Thomas, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    "Fixing those nonlinearities is a logical first step in overcoming that fidelity problem.
    Service manuals aren't going to help you figure that out though, and that's where engineering skills come in handy."

Rabbi, that's the part I don't understand. Why spend $250 or more on an export radio, that the engineers have already designed. Then pay your tech another $200 (I'm guessing) to re-design the circuitry just to talk 30 to 70 miles on the 11 meter band. Not to mention the $$$'s spent on shipping. Don't get me wrong, people can spend their hard earned money anyway they want to. Meteor has the right idea by just buying a real cb radio and using a small amp to get out farther. People have been doing that for years.

Meteorgray, Timin770 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Then its radio amp matcbing possible issues..

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You have a valid point. Having maximum Fidelity without bleeding on adjacent channels has become a sport that very few can achieve. It's probably the exclusivity of having what isn't available to the general public. Anybody can go out and purchase an Icom 7300 and have something really nice. It still won't perform quite as nicely as my Anytone on 11 meters. It definitely comes in second place though for a fraction of the hassle that comes along with dealing with the "soup nazi" although it does cost a bit more money.
    For the average person I recommend purchasing a new radio from Ebay or Amazon and plug it in and use it. Once a golden screwdriver touches it performance will always be less.
    I don't see why people waste money on amplifiers when they can't even accomplish what I do barefoot. It would seem logical to maximize the potential of the barefoot radio before even contemplating adding an amplifier.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Its old school thinking that more power solves the issue..Many think only by saveing a few buck and grabbing a cheap amp,any ole jumper coax ppwer it up and your automatically have a pimpin set up..

6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Okay, I haven't thought about it being a sport. But I see what your saying. That's an interesting way of putting it.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Rabbi, here is the thing about me, I just don’t care.

I could if I examine the issues to radio figure it out but I don’t want to. my limited time is spent on other AM ventures, and other bands where AM is actually appreciated.

Mark has his niche in a very tight market and that’s alright with me, he has done or learned a lot of things to improve the radios he focuses on but in the wider world, he is only focused on things that make him money or things to support making money.

is he right all the time?

nope not by a long shot and if you were exposed to good techs (not cb techs), you could see some talent which Mark just reaches but doesn’t surpass.

You keep mentioning ham radios as if they are a state of the art but they are behind the times when it comes to actual quality of signal reception and transmission, most are still using a layout from 1965 while others are so internally complex they just can’t preform beyond a point of a cb, a one Mark didn’t bless with his magic.

8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    "....bleeding on adjacent channels..."

Aint nobody on adjacent channels. Hardly anybody on 19 unless traffic backs up

9. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I guess you don't get around dump trucks much. They always seem to be running splatter boxes around here!

JD

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I've been exposed to lots of good technicians when I was in the military.
    They do great work in their small niche which has no relevance when it comes to these Chinese radios. When they attempt to cross over into the civilian world they are greatly disappointed in the results they are capable of achieving when attempting to work on these Chinese radios. Attempting to achieve perfection from something that is completely worthless is very difficult to do as you noticed yourself. Knowing that neither you nor anybody you know is capable of replicating these results is probably why I find it so enjoyable to use.

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Alot of the boys from quebec canada seem to be the same..At 1st i thought it was power boxes on radios till i see and figure out it two guys runnin together 1/2 apart..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.