Marten Transport Desoto Orientation

Discussion in 'Marten' started by Horizonrider, Aug 18, 2013.

1. kennithsemidriver

kennithsemidriver Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2013
    tax more problems plus they are big scam , they screw drivers and cut money from their paycheck ,, you have to keep tracing all what you do otherwise you will miss a lot loads , detention time , layover but if when you talk the dispatcher will force you out ,, their policy is to screw at least $500 from each driver every week to help the company in fuel and the truck payment , This basically , like the driver is working as owner operator , I have never meet any happy driver in Marten
    . over half of them trying to leave and just waiting for the right moment. the other half just give up as they said they are too old to go some where else.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Wow!!!! You tell me what company u can go work for that does not hv some kind of bs!! Marten does run your a..off and yes u make a GRAND A WK!!! U tell me how many other companys r doing alot of sitting, better yet how many jobs hv u had where u hv been away from hm making ##### money!! Yes marten is not the dream job but a grand a wk in this f up economy .. Im staying

4. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    I also have been told from a current driver with a company id in the 55,000 range, that now if you complain on any social media page about marten transport, you can be terminated on the spot. The employee hand book has been updated.
    So now marten takes your freedom of speech away.

5. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    lol i hv a handbook it says nothing like that at all!! See this is y i got screwed over so much when i first started driving!! Cause i listened to all drivers bs!!! Good and bad!! See if everyone just told the truth about this ##### industry!!! We drivers would be more informed on facts!!! Not just bs from angry bitter drivers!! Or drivers who just flat out lie!! I am a driver who hates this industry!! But i lv driving!! So im ******!!

6. Puckdaddy

Puckdaddy Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2013
    No one's saying you should do anything. As for me, I am only trying to present the facts as I see them. There is no intended malice. The fact is, about 45% of what appears on a paycheck from Marten is perdium. Perdium is a deduction a driver could take on their taxes anyway. When you get paid this way, yes you pay less in taxes now. But there is a cost to you because you forfeit the deduction at tax time, you will receive less in social security later because Marten is only reporting the 55% they're actually paying you, and when lenders look at your income, they won't see the 45% your being paid via perdium. Getting loans for a car or other durable goods will be extremely difficult. Some argue that social security won't be around but if it's not, we all have problems that are much more serious.

7. fr8te_sh8ker

fr8te_sh8ker Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    I've never understood the resistance to per diem as it pertains to social security.

Use your per diem wisely - it is money in your pocket today - save it, invest it.

The money you use to build your future, build your home, is worth more than what you will get when you draw SS.

There's not one good thing that comes from government holding your money to give back to you at a later time.

8. fr8te_sh8ker

fr8te_sh8ker Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    In 2016 SS is projected to fall short. When it does there will be an automatic cut to SS benefits. The example I saw last week was a 20% cut.

Per diem is a gift today, for those lucky enough to get it from their employers.

9. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    I t was recently updated in the last couple of weeks. , . Another Senior driver, one with 20 years who used to post on a couple of pages confirmed it. He has deleted all his social media pages. included this one.

fr8te_sh8ker Thanks this.
  10. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    The Driver's Handbook is now online so having a paper copy won't give you the latest info.

11. CallOfTheWild

CallOfTheWild Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Where is this handbook online? I Want to view it before going to Marten...

tdawginahwa Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.