Marten Transportation SUCKS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by shdwman, Feb 24, 2009.

1. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    that is "par for the course" on a site as popular as this.
    there are always 1-posters that come on here and make a bold statement without "facts" to back it up.
    but, come in here with some SPECIFIC complaints/arguements, you will get pertinent (sp?) feedback.
    come in here "talking out the side of your neck" and you GET WHAT YOU GET.:yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I agree

I have no personal experience driving for Marten - I applied, and they told me that since I have more than 3 months unemployed in the past year, I'm not eligible. I can live with that - they were up front with it and didn't wait until I was at orientation.

I have a friend of mine who DOES work for them. Short timer - about 4 months now with them. He's very happy with them.

If there's something in the way of evidence - or even an anecdote with somebody to back it up, I'd be most happy to pass it along to my friend. As it is... <yawn>

4. airborne 509

airborne 509 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2009
    xenia il
    Marten always treated me with respect, deliver your loads on time, take care of the equipment, be a professional, and they will take care of you, always got 2600-3200 miles per week, when i took my time off, they would ask me where and when, never called me at home, i have no complaints.

5. lostheart

lostheart Light Load Member

:biggrin_2559:Hey give randy some credit hes no gentleman he himself will tell you hes an a hole:biggrin_25514:

6. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    I got approved with Marten in 2005. They flew me from L.A. to Portland, OR, to attend orientation in Wilsoville. Accomodations at the Holiday Inn. So far, so good. First thing in the a.m., before signing any paperwork, was the physical (one of the creepiest doctors ever!) Then they laid down a form for us to sign stating that if we didn't stay a minimum of six months with them, they would charge us for the flight, the accomodations and the physical. I would've had no problem with that if they had informed me before I decided to go. OK, I'll roll with it. They seem reputable enough.

Got through orientation and was told some of us would be flown to Fontana, CA, to pick up our trucks. The only request I had made was that it be a non-smokers truck. Well, sure enough, when I arrived it was a 10-wheeled ashtray, absolutely reeking of cigarette smoke. It had also been wrecked by the previous driver (rolled over). When I test-drove it, the floorboard creaked loudly and there were rattles everywhere (only 270K on it).

When I asked for another truck, they gave me the run-around, so I had someone come pick me up while I waited at home. After 2 days, I was told by the fleet supervisor that it was "take it or leave it". I never went back. In today's hiring climate, I might have put up with it, but I had options back then. I think my experience was the exception, not the rule.

PS: Marten's SWAT team hasn't knocked down my door yet to collect for not staying 6 months!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess lol.

8. brownbear4007

brownbear4007 Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Moreno Valley, Ca.
    Friend of mine hired on about 4-5 weeks ago with Marten. I talked with him two weeks. He drives a large regional route (Ca., AZ, UT, WASH, ORE). So far he has had no real complaints, says he like it there so far.
    I drive for company he left, his being there a bit over a year. He was the "Day" driver, I am the "night" driver. I received ad on one of my email servers. Knowing he wanted leave since hauling bulk cement powder is slow here in so. calif, I forwarded the ad to him. He called me two weeks ago to thank me.

9. CA_Medicine_Woman

CA_Medicine_Woman Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Oak Creek, WI
    I've been with Marten since January 2006. While I've been through some rough spots with them, I'm still here. From what I can tell, if you run safe, legal, on time, be professional, and communicate with the appropriate people for whatever situation comes up, any problem can be resolved. I don't know if they're the best companyto work for, but they're the best I've worked for, problems and all.

10. steelersfan

steelersfan Medium Load Member

May 9, 2009
    BRIDGEWATER, NJ
    How is Marten's lease purchase program?

11. CA_Medicine_Woman

CA_Medicine_Woman Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Oak Creek, WI
    I'm not a huge fan of any "lease-purchase" program, since to me it seems like nothing more than a company driver who makes the truck and insurance payments, and has to pay for their fuel, maintenance, and repairs.

Having said that, I guess all I can tell you is check out Marten's web site for details. My advice would be to be a team operation with a rig owned outright (or close to being paid off). Those I've seen who are doing well also have rigs bought with an eye towards business, not "status." A good grounding in basic business principles is a good idea, and the more transportation industry experience (especially with trends), the better.

Of course, there's always the advice I followed from my trainer some 15 years back... If you are thinking of going owner-op, look at a fuel pump, and then go to sleep until the thought goes away.

The Ice Man Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.