Martin Brower/Manassas, VA

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by Rascally Road Warrior, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Rascally Road Warrior

Rascally Road Warrior Light Load Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Titusville, FL
    Martin Brower in Manassas, VA. I arrive the night before and I am lucky enough to find a spot on the road to get some rest. I attempt to check in 45 minutes before my appointment time… notice I said ‘attempt’. The signs outside the gate read as follows - “Drivers must park outside of gate and check into the Receiving Office between doors 10 and 11 and then monitor CB channel 5.

I go through the door located between doors 10 and 11 and there reads another sign - “Receiving through this door”. I once again attempt to go through this door but it is locked and the only way to open it without the use of any demolition devices is via a security key pad located on the wall. Another sign reads - “Phone rings directly to Receiving”… however, instead the phone rang to an automated directory which offered me no information regarding receiving!

Finally a young lady walks in from the parking lot and asks to state my nature of business. My first response was, “investigative sign reader”… and then of course after realizing that she had no sense of humor, perhaps no sense at all for that matter, I told her that obviously (the key word here being ‘obviously’), I am here to make a delivery, after all, this is a warehouse… ya think?

So, she now asks me for my cell number and I simply reply that I’m a married man and can’t be handing out my phone number to just any cute girl that comes my way. Again, nothing in the funny bone area. Now we all know why she asked me for my phone number and it certainly wasn’t because I am a good looking, well mannered, wealthy dude. Just another bit of ineffective information on their signs that read - “Monitor channel CB 5”.

Half an hour after my appointed scheduled time I get a call telling me what door to back into, and here I set for hours waiting to be unloaded. I am always surprised at the lack of integrity that accompanies this industry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Sounds like you had an average day in the world of OTR. At least they didn't expect you to lump it off on the cheap or even free. You should write it off and forget about it. Next week, you'll be doing it all over again at some other dock.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.