Martin Enterprises of the Carolinas in Lowell,NC

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by KUQ704, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Tennessee Trucker

Tennessee Trucker Heavy Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester,Tn.
    i agree some people need a second chance, but it is unfourtunate that there are companies like this around that take advantage of the persons situation. craigslist is full of these companies. also with a safety rating like that they probally have a big problem attracting quality drivers so this has a direct effect on their safety rating. Also a lot of people have no business owning a trucking company in the first place

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VaGold

VaGold Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2015
    VA

4. VaGold

VaGold Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2015
    VA
    Yeah I have worked for these guys & girls before. I never had a problem with them... If you lie about your logs or DON'T turn in your paperwork they will withhold your paycheck.

Bottom line with these people is this, do your job right & they won't bother you... Play games with them like don't turn your paperwork in, & yeah they will fine you... They paid me every week. I never had any issues. I did my job & they paid me in return. I didn't bother them & they didn't bother me. Plain and simple!

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Illegal as hell! Unless an employee has sign an authorization for this to be done, an employer cannot withhold your paycheck unless he has a court order to do so. Just because an employer claims a driver might lied on his logs, don't think for one minute that this will "hold water" when charges are filed against the employer.

"Can my boss hold back my paycheck? No. No matter what, it's your money. Your boss can't hold your check until you return company property, until you finish a job, or any other reason."

"HR may tell a worker that "when you drop off the equipment, you can collect your final check." That suggests you can't have your check unless you return the company property -- but you can."

http://www.canmybossdothat.com/category.php?id=22&state=NC

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  6. VaGold

VaGold Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2015
    VA
    Correct! Your pain on 10-99. Your a different kind of employee. Yes, of course you sign a contract saying if you don't do your job there "may" be fines you have to pay.... They are fairly lax people, and only go to the extent if you refuse to do your job... If you make a mistake you do get a friendly reminder to fix your mistakes at no charge.... It's the ones that repeatedly refused to do there job correctly that finds money missing (FINED) out of there check... $250 is a lot for a fine, but your average check is about $900 to $1100 a week. And again the lady that does the payroll will always give you the option to fix whatever you dI'd wrong. ☺

7. VaGold

VaGold Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2015
    VA
    Everything listed is somewhat true. If they found you, you had to of filled out anapp on a site where you could be found.

They try to only hire driver's with experience so if you have experience why would you want to waste your time in a multi day orientation? Email is the way of the future, say you have 30drivers or more & everyone needs a 1 on 1 phone call, it would waste time. If you need special instructions with a phone call they are in the office for you.

Nothing is out of the normal in anything you said when it comes to trucking companies. You get in, drive safely to point A diliver to pointB, turn in paperwork & do it all over? In return for getting your load there on time, safety, you get a paycheck every Friday. This company actually has a bonus program in place as well... This company isn't bad, trust me I've seen a lot worse.

8. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    That within itself is illegal. You are driving their equipment, under their supervision, you do what they tell you to do, there is no way that you are an "independent contractor" being paid on a 1099. You are an employee and legally you should be paid on a W-2. The whole scheme "smells to high heaven".

mjd4277 and HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thank this.
  9. VaGold

VaGold Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2015
    VA
    I highly doubt it. If it was illegal they wouldn't be doing it. The owner is a really stick in the mud when it comes to safty. It's not like they just started doing this yesterday. They have been in business for who knows how many years. I drove for them with a 1099. I did have to handle my own taxes, but as long as you pay your taxes your not doing anything but a honest living. Now if you decide to stick the IRS "you" would be doing something illegal. I'm not a lawyer I didn't have any issues. Another thing to remember is different states have different laws. I'm 100% sure in there state there not doing anything illegal.

10. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    No, you don't do a 1099 at anytime....

11. grumbyfart

grumbyfart Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2016
    No worker should do a 1099 unless you are being paid at least twice the going rate. You are not covered for workers comp. You pay both sides of the social security tax. The withholding of the income tax is minor to those two issues. But this illustrates one of the flaws in the trucking model. Management has shifted some of the cost of the uncertainties to the employee. That makes the employee have different goals then the employer. Hence the conflict.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.