Maverick on amateur radio

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Danfromwindsor, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    I got my HAM Tech license this past month and Im interested to know of other MAVERICK drivers who are on air also. Share tips ideas and experiences. Drivers from other companies welcomed to reply just please identify yourself as not a maverick.
    My first radio is an older but like new Icom IC-28H with a Hustler SF-2 2meter antenna. So far a great radio except its lacking a tone squelch. Lookin to upgrade in a month or so to a dual band so I can hit the 440band.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Danfromwindsor

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Loving my 2meter radio. So nice to be able to enjoy a conversation over the radio without all the trash. Met some fine folks and Im sure I'll meet many more. I highly recommend getting a ham license guys! Its fun and like I said no trash. We could have a set frequency to talk to each other much like cb#5 only better reception and with help from a repeater we can talk longer distances! Regardless I recommend it for any driver who likes radio without all the trash of todays cb.

JimTheHut Thanks this.
  4. seawheeler

seawheeler Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    Ive thought about this. My father is a Ham and has been since I was a child. What did you do to get your license?

5. Danfromwindsor

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    There was a local amateur radio club who holds regular test sessions so I bought the ARRL Technician class exam manual which has all you need to pass the 35 multiple choice question test. Cost was $15 for the test/license and I got the book for about that on Amazon. License is good for 10yrs. I dont regret spending a dime on this,its been worth it.

seawheeler Thanks this.
  6. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

Do you still need to know morse code?

7. AXE

AXE Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Code requirement was dropped a few years ago, so no.

JimTheHut Thanks this.
  8. Danfromwindsor

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Nope. Otherwise Id have never made it lol. I cant make heads or tails of that stuff.

JimTheHut Thanks this.
  9. Danfromwindsor

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Ok company drivers,I know some of you have your ticket. Do you have a radio in your truck? Has Maverick been helpful installing it? I know of late they've gotten picky about antenna placement so I was curious if this presented issues for installing your rig.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.