Maxxforce 10 cylinder 4 imbalance max limited exceeded

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by rmitchellm70, Dec 5, 2023.

1. rmitchellm70

rmitchellm70 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2023
    Im having some issues with a 2011 maxxforce 10. it came for a died on road no start issue. Customer also stated it was extended cranking when hot. found all 6 pucks leaking so replaced all 6. Started having a code imbalance for cylinder 4 and 5 after that. after driving to purge air, cylinder 5 code went inactive cylinder 4 stayed active. So swapped injector 3 and 4 and code stayed on 4 so didnt think it was a bad injector. run a borescope down the hole and everything looked fine. checked everthing over again. hpop resevoir was full, found burnt pin on IPR and IPR pigtail replaced both, found bad o ring on high pressure oil feed line replaced that, new ICP, new injector harness, valve cover harness ohms out fine but thats all i could do for tests on it. Im not exactly sure where to turn next. Also found diesel in the oil from what im assuming was the bad IPR, changed oil and it cleared up for initial test drive but back to cylinder 4 imbalance and over fueling. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If you have Service Maxx or Navistar Engine diagnostic software program, you can run a relative compression test to see if #4 has a mechanical cylinder problem. You might have to pull that valve cover again and check the rockers and valves for anything wrong in there.

4. rmitchellm70

rmitchellm70 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2023
    Did the relative compression test and was seeing as follows.
    1: 26
    2: 13
    3: 14
    4: 25
    5: 13
    6: 14

Checked all rockers valves and pushrods as well.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sorry, I missed this post. The lower the number the lower compression. You are looking for cylinders with significantly lower values. #4 shows good compression. I usually run this test several times to get an average. If the cylinder is bad, you will see single digit numbers or near zero.
    What is the current status? Are you still getting that code? If that code was not there before, I fear something might have gotten bumped during the rail repair. As a precaution, I like to replace the ICP sensor any time I have the valve cover off. Is there any chance the combustion sealing washer got left behind from the old injector?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.