Maxxforce DT Stumbles No code

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Young_simba, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Young_simba

Young_simba Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2019
    I'm having an issue with a 2010 Maxxforce DT (07 epa) Truck begins running great with power like nothing is wrong but eventually at some point at full throttle starts smoking black and white smoke, stumbles losses all power for that moment. The problem mainly stays but sometimes goes away on it's own at next acceleration. Already changed Map, cleaned mat and ebp. Replaced turbo actuator. Only place I have left to check for air leaks is CAC everything else seems fine. Breather was cleaned as well and can hear it working after shutting off engine. I have no codes until I do Standard KOER - 3338 EBP unable to build during test and Air management Test - 3347 VGT control under duty
    Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I have seen a few throttle bodies fail and not log a fault code. One was completely closed
    and the engine quit and would not start and no fault code.

4. Young_simba

Jun 28, 2019
    Will check it out, thanks

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Run a Key on, Engine off output state high and low tests three times each for about 30 seconds and see if any egr valve codes pop up.

6. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    I have a similar if not the same problem. 2009 maxxforce dt. Starts great, runs out fine. Every 150 miles or so throws a fit for 5 to 10 minutes. Smokes, looses power, shakes and shudders. After its finished it runs fine again for another couple hours. I figured it has something to do with emissions. Let me know if you ever figure it out.

7. Young_simba

Jun 28, 2019
    I checked throttle body and it's open. Ran output state high and low a few times and no codes. It now doing some kind of sound like if the egr or vgt or something else is stuck or something. I posted videos and you can hear the sound here around the middle.
    Check engine light if for aftertreatment sensors because exhaust pipe is disconnected to diagnose current problem.
    I'm thinking maybe a bad egr valve or throttle valve that's working most of the time but sometimes it's not and tricking the ecm that it is working or maybe a wire at one of the connectors that's not making proper contact at times

Attached Files:

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Disconnect the exhaust back pressure sensor and see if the stumble goes away.

9. circle h

circle h Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2020
    That sounds like my truck. Let me know when you figure out please.

10. Young_simba

Jun 28, 2019
    I disconnected the ebp sensor and the stumble/ weird sound did go away. It still throws black smoke at take off and a bit slow to build speed but it does make a difference. When I connect the sensor again I lose all power at times and now get a bunch of white/black smoke. I checked the ebp tube and it's free not clogged

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That sensor is used with others to calculate what the turbo and egr valve does. When it is disconnected, the engine runs off of default values. That sensor could be faulty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.