May need a new atlas:

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Heck I have one from the 80`s , beat up a bit. I circled all my local stops. I still use it at times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Large print doesn't have any more detail than the normal atlas, just enlarged so you each state takes up more pages. I don't really see the benefit.
    I like the laminated versions. Spiral binding lets you have it open to the page you'll need, and it lasts a heck of a lot longer. I replace mine every 3 years whether it needs it or not. Paper I was buying a new one every 4-6 months because it was wore out & falling apart.

snowwy Thanks this.
  4. WildTxn

WildTxn Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    You know, atlases are great when you don't need fine detail. Some states have such spagettified, tangled, and unstructured road systems that what is really needed is an old fashioned large paper fold out map special made for STAA (truck) routes. Haven't seen any foldouts, except for cars. I think they used to have them for trucks.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Why replace paper every year when laminated will last for years. You can also clean laminated should something spill.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  6. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Mine's ancient too lol

‘Olhand Thanks this.
  7. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Only a year old, already looking rough.

Attached Files:

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    when you get to be MY AGE...there IS a benefit to LARGE PRINT..!!

9. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    UPDATE:

Kenly Petro has a stack of 2016 Rand McNally deluxe laminated atlases for $14.

Exit 106 I-95, North Carolina

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
  11. Olympian

Olympian Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Go to your route-settings and set it to fastest route, as opposed to shortest route. The only reason you would use the shortest route setting is if you are in car mode.

In addition, you are supposed to review your entire route before you take off on your trip to not only ensure it is 100 percent legal but that it is really the way you want to go, and if it is not the way you want to go, then add ship vias to force the GPS device to route you the way you want to go.

If you're not sure about the routes generated, download Google Maps, which is a free download and create routes in Google Maps to compare the routes generated by your GPS device, but bear in mind that Google Maps is far cars and not for trucks, but on long trips, the routes should be more or less the same. In other words, you can use it as a reference and as a guideline.

Also, in Google Maps you can check the traffic along your routes as well, and it's free, up to date. and in real time.

In any event, what kind of GPS device are you using?

By the way, if you are discovering that your GPS isn't always right, that's because you are following the routes blindly without verifying the routes are accurate and legal for big trucks beforehand. Always religiously check-over your routes beforehand to confirm that they are legal, correct, and the way you want to go before you start your trips so you won't have any unexpected surprises along the way during the trip, as an unexpected surprise can possibly cost you your job.

The best way to do it is to download and install Google Earth on your laptop, another free program, then look up all your shippers and consignees in Google Earth by entering the address minus the zip code (Google Earth doesn't like zip codes for some reason). Zoom in and locate the driver entranceway to the facility you are going to. Place a pushpin right in the driver entranceway. Then right-click the pushpin and choose properties. When the properties dialogue box opens up, you can see the GPS coordinates for that pushpin. Key those GPS coordinates into your GPS unit instead of the address. That way your GPS device will always route you directly to your Shippers' and Consignees' driver entrance ways. That's the way I do it. Then you can also save those shippers and consignees into your address book by state in the case you have to go back to them again.

Good luck.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.