May Trucking announces new hours of service...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I see that May Trucking is informing their drivers that the new hours of service are going into effect on July 01. You can read the notice here: May Trucking Facebook.

My sense is that loss of production is going to be anywhere from 5% to 7%. Could be even higher at company's like May where proper pre-planning (calculation of hrs/time zone changes/mileage/appointments) is difficult enough for new drivers at a training company under the current hours of service provisions.

Throw in the new changes and it's going to be a real challenge for logistics to keep things flowing I suspect...

Under the old rule you could start a fresh 70 anytime after after a 34 hr break. Thus, one could actually drive more than 70 hrs in 8 days. Not anymore with the implementation of the two consecutive periods of 1 to 5 am and the restart limited to once per 168 hrs (7 days).

I figure it's going to cost me at least 800 miles per month with the way I normally run.
    800 miles at 12 mos with what I make per mile and that adds up to some serious cash in one year.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    I wish I had more miles to run than what I have now, but I'm glad that Im not going to be affected by either of these new regs. adding a 30 min break each day isn't going to affect my driving the way its been going and I haven't gotten close to hitting my 70 in a while.

4. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Yeah, the 1/2 hour break is no big deal to me either. I always stop a few hrs after coming on duty anyways for a break.

5. Mousemaker

Mousemaker Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Denver
    At May, does the driver do the pre-planning? I was under the impression that the preplan sent to you.

6. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    well a preplan is just a pre dispatch, i think scooter was talking about actually planning your trip

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Of course, I'm talking about planning out the trip after you receive the pre-plan. There are times when it can be a bit challenging when you have to take into consideration all the things I mentioned above regarding planning out a trip to ensure you have enough time to actually make it on time.

8. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    If every driver drove No More than 100 miles a day for one week especially during the harvest season May-Aug when things are really smokin their will be so much demand on truckers that you would not want to run 35 hrs a week with out even going on strikes or causing a big fuss companies will be competing to get your attention and begging for your service But what do I know? 100,000 trucks X 3000 miles /wk avg = 300,000,000 Miles driven under normal standard every day example 100,000 trucks X 700 miles /wk avg = 70,000,000 Miles driven under this new fight back chicken hauler idea 300,000,000 - 70,000,000 Miles = 230,000,000 Do you know haw many loads is THAT????????????????????????? Let go back to supply & Demand rules you know the same rules the educated FREEKS handed you when they stole your money at the pump What did they say....It's just supply and demand driver not Greed OK What do you think would happen when there is no trucks to pickup the onions,melons,vegy's ,and so on do you think they can tell mother nature to stop growing things or can they afford to loose the crop or may be they would love to put all that produce in the fridge until the truck arrives REFRIGERATION Cost Money Honey? Do you really think the DOT or anyone one else will Give a HOOT about your hours of service? or how many logs you have? Hell They will be so grateful and thankful to you they will welcome your stincken chicken Haulin Behind and greet you at the dock with a BUDDDDDDDDDDDDD if not a HOOOOOOOOka And all that with you just giving up driving one week and still get paid for your 700 slow miles that one week only And we Have over 5,000,000 trucks out there U DIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG? So stop sweating The DOT they are Hanging them selves by the ears they just don't know it yet. When the crap hit the fan they will close every weigh station all a cross the USA and Canada why? Because they want their Oreo cookies Medications Gas Etc. so now you will have a new hours of service wana know what that would look like ? 49cf fart 4.654899 a driver may drive 24/7 even if he/she fallin a sleep bhind the wheel with a joint in his/her mouth or until they drop dead until we suff our face's with lots and lots of Twinkies You don't have to have a Jimy Hoffa Just drive low & slow and ready to go ORRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLEEEY

9. lilrich

lilrich Light Load Member

May 2, 2013
    phoenix AZ
    well one huge major flaw in that casual ...its called greedy truckers and rail systems that would start swooping in and doing loads and running as many miles as they can and make them look like saviors and than there name gets out and bam they get big and kiss ur thoughts bye bye

but i agree with you 1000% supply and demand control prices which is what the trucking industry can control if they all banded together but you know what else happens when shipping cost goes up right? the price of goods and than guess what that extra pay you thought you were getting just became less than it is now due to the inflated prices on goods due to this action the ones that control this nation are the big corporations,banks and your every unfaithful government!!

10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Well, my posting of this thread is about the newly adopted Hours of Service. Specifically, how they are going to potentially cause some disruptions in the flow of goods on the road ways. I noted that it's probably going to cost me some serious cash on an annual basis. Cash that my family really needs.

The thread really isn't about a call for a strike...

amiller Thanks this.
  11. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    At .33 per mile it will cost you about as much as your forced per diem does.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.