May Trucking. Good to start

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Work4life, May 8, 2017.

1. Work4life

Work4life Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2016
    1.png I am a May driver 6 months so far and my experience is positive with bad spots here and there like any company i would imagine. So your DM is going to determine if you have a good or bad experience, mine is awesome. So how are they as a company? I would say above average. I stay out usually about 4-6 weeks go home 2-4 days

Pros- Hire process is very simple, Pay is on time and reliable, office staff is generally friendly and easy to work with, my truck is newer had 23k miles on it when i got seated,Orientation was a week i believe and mostly paperwork and road test they do pay for orientation and your hotel/2 meals a day hotel bfast and lunch in town, training was 2 and half weeks and was paid, I can run hard or take my time depending on how i wanna work "usually", 2016 freightliner cascadia evolution auto, I can idle as long as i want by turning cruise on, (yes there is an idle charge over 40% of your driving hours it is usually 50 bucks IF you idle ALL DAY),truck has an 2k watt inverter, shop will install tv up to 20" i believe and mini fridge within their dimensions, e-logs, can start out guaranteed wage or cpm your choice after training, rider and pet policies, I am home on time every time so far, and for the most part left alone as long as im doing my runs in a timely manner and making appointments, Logistics for the most part is very good about seeing what your available hours are and sending loads that you shouldn't have a problem making on time, if you have a problem with your truck requiring repair they will put you in a hotel for the night if needed no problem, I was even in need of a repair during my hometime request and was sent home (via greyhound) with my passenger they covered the cost of a hotel for the night for both of us and our bus tickets from oregon to california and back, I personally have been able to park my truck at my home which is a secured and gated location,

Cons- I am constantly talking to payroll who forgot to put in a p.o. receipt to reimburse a scale or other item, sometimes it is vastly faster to pay for small ticket items then wait for them to get you a scale or washout, OTR has no interest in spending money they don't have to so you need to put your foot in their ### on occasion if you hook unsafe equipment or need a repair NOW, It can take hours to get repair because you are waiting on OTR to authorize shop and pay them, Certain dispatchers are notorious for being aholes and you WILL know when you get those ones because everyone will tell you, your training can very based on your mentor and as long as you can semi back into a spot on their solo test they will send you out the door, pay could be better but i think thats a grass is always greener thing, for the most part trailers and trucks are ok they are updating both tractors are sold off at around 300k miles, you have to make sure the trailer your picking has cables or chains on it in winter, for every week out you get a day of home time up to 5 days after that you have to leave your truck at the yard and i think clean it out, you can sit quite a bit, sometimes you arent told that you are delivering to a drop yard and can be there early, they don't have a school, and I would have to say my NUMBER ONE complaint with may is their yards, the yards are complete garbage for the most part, ive been to 1 or 2 that are okay but for the most part they are trashed and nasty old furniture that was got off craigslist it seems in driver lounge, many drivers go to pilot to shower instead of free ones at yard, they are FULL just ####ing full of potholes, payette ID yard in winter ive gotten reprimanded for not chaining in the yard because it was so bad but just in the yard not the streets or Highways, Many of the yards we share and are looked down on by the other companies that occupy them, YOU WILL BE DRUG TESTED... A LOT lol ive done just a simple UA id say 3 or 4 times day of hire, 3 months, 6 months and 1 other 1.png View attachment 179625

So anyways sorry if this is all over the place adding as i think of things haha. But i would say for a new driver May ain't such a bad bet. No contract, decent enough equipment and paid on time. Find the right driver manager and you'll be okay. this is just the opinion of one driver if you have a different one or don't like mine good for you idgaf. Ill throw in a couple documents of what a starting driver will make on their flat rate. If this helps you cool let me know if you disagree...sorry don't care.

thanks to anyone who got to the end of this and i really hope it helps a new guy looking for info send me a message if you have specific questions 1.png 2.png :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    May is an honest company. Do your runs and do your job..don't refuse loads you will get paid..simple as that that.

MarkH129, 207nomad and Puppage Thank this.
  4. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    What a ripoff getting charged to idle if over 40%. I guess they are too cheap to get apu's. Nice layed out review @Work4life.

5. LakeLife80

LakeLife80 Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Ohio
    Specific review of what sounds like a poor company. I can't believe they charge around $50 a day for idling a truck and won't get APU's, I guess charging the driver is cheaper. No surprise the yards are junk, reminds me of a similar company Willis Shaw whom I started my career with, yards were third world.

a-trucker123 and SQ200 Thank this.
  6. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    You live in the truck and gross 700$? This #### deserves to be in the bad companies forum.

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yep that's pretty sad.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Willis Shaw is now MCT Transportation. Wonder if it's improved.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  9. JohnOTR

JohnOTR Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Springfield, Ma
    Agree 700 gross is nothing special
    How much you get after taxes if I may ask

10. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    *edit* deleted the whole darn thing. Wasnt helpful in anyway.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    SQ200 Thanks this.
  11. Work4life

Work4life Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2016
    It is 50/week

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.