May trucking idle policy

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    May Trucking has an idling policy. They do not permit frivilous idling. The reasons are obvious, namely, idling burns fuel at the rate of about one gallon per hour. Fuel cost over $4.00 per gallon in many places now. So, do the math. Most companies are fighting to compete and stay solvent in this current economic environment.

Wasteful fuel usage multiplied over a thousand trucks equals big bucks!

If you are a lurking here searching for information regarding company policies because you are considering May as an employer, ask your recruiter to put you in touch with someone who can explain in detail how the idling policy is implemented.

In a nutshell, all idle time is tracked by the onboard computer. Each gallon used idling is logged in gallons used and converted into a percentage of driving format. The numbers are downloaded by the company every two weeks and you are reset to zero percentage.

You "COULD" be charged for any amount over the alloted percentage for the previous two weeks. If you have a legitimate reason for idling above that amount, track and submit it to your DM, you will NOT be charged for the overage.

Idling percentages ebb and flows based on how much you idle. The more miles you drive without idling much, your percentage goes down.

May's trucks are equipped with bunk heaters which do not require idling.

The current alloted idling percentages are 10% October through May and 45% June through September.

If you are currently with a trainer, insist on his explaining to you how the policy works.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Very good, how many more questions do u think will be asked about it on this thread.

4. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Joker, as you know, it's really hard to quantitify in practical ways just how the idling policy works until you get out on the road in your own truck.

I've tried to simplify the policy so as to give newbies some chance of understanding how it works. However, it reminds me of my time in truck driving school and the instructor "explaining" to me how the split berth provision works within the framework of the 70 hour clock in 8 days. He might as well been speaking Greek ;-)

5. Joker85

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Yea, exactly. I had no clue bout the 8_2 now I do and the qc does it automatically lol. And the idlepolicy is confusing til you're in your own truck. Right now I'm 26% but sent in requests been hot in the south

6. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Is this a joke?

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    No, it's not.

Sorry to disappoint you...

8. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    I am sure May is not the only company that has this policy. The other companies that don't will probably implement some sort of policy if fuel cost continue rising.

I look at it this way. When I am at home, I don't run my AC or heat more than necessary. It would cost me more money to do so. Look at it as if you were the one paying the diesel fuel bill.

9. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

no there are no other companies that charge drivers for idleing. And no other companies will not do this BS, when i started driving in 2008 fuel was allot higher then then it is right now, and companies where just starting to invent idleing restrictions, ordering apu's, companies paid more per mile (even werner), companies would compete for drivers with big Pete's and KW's with 500+ HP 13/18 spds and sign on bonuses (even werner). Also even with fuel riseing, they simply raise their rates to cover the differance so these big companies are certainly not going to hurt their driver flow with stupid rules like this.

American Trucker

10. Joker85

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    How do u know this for a fact may is the only company?

11. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Because there are 10000 threads wineing about may chargeing for idleing.....and yet not 1 on any other company. Drivers like to complain and bash companies, this is actully a valid reason to complain, so you can bet your butt that if someone else charged a driver to idle, they'd be posting all about it.....

American Trucker

Daniel.trawick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.