May trucking idle policy

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Once again, how many of those companies would hire a new student fresh out of school, and after training period pay said student .40 cpm as a solo driver as AT was claiming? I checked most of those companies and none of them pay entry level drivers .40 cpm.

I had a Schneider National recruiter follow up on me last year. Hell, they won't even allow you to put an inverter in their trucks. He told me it was a "fire danger".

I have another friend who worked for CRST right out of school and their training program, he told me they require a minimum 6 mos team driving.

I met a guy the other day at the Towpath plaza on the Ohio Turnpike. He said he worked for Roehl for a year and said that they were a horrible company.

My point is, see how easy it is to smear other companies just by using anecdotal word of mouth from dissatisfied drivers, whatever their reason?

Hopefully this thread can return to it's intended use, namely information on May Trucking's idle policy and how it works ;-)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

boyd Bros pays .40cpm right out of school as well.

American Trucker

4. Everett

Everett Crusty Shorts, What???

Oct 20, 2009
    Hampton,Ia
    so let say i go thru chicago, rush hour i could be sitting there for 2 hours or more during baseball season, so in effect there telling me too shut the engine off while i set on the expressway or i pay thru my own nose for idleing, i see if i shut my truck off to save idle time, then i created a hazard too everyboby

5. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    All you have to do is log your idle time and submit it with the reason why you idled. It's not rocket science. Why is everyone making such a big deal over it?

6. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    :biggrin_2556:

7. Spokester

Spokester Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    I look at it this way, the policy doesn't bother me for several reasons; I like to breathe clean air, and idiots that idle just because they can, well... Not to mention the noise while I'm trying to sleep. Another thing, I know company drivers don't pay for it, but that fuel ain't cheap!!! :biggrin_25524: By training myself now to be frugal with fuel, I'll be that much more profitable when it is my truck, and I am paying for it. So far, I've never used more than 5% idle time (though I expect that will rise come summer time), even with a few "Parked Regen" sessions. I would rather have top-notch, newer equipment and watch my idle time, than deal with some of the company crap I see other drivers having to work with... If I need to, I'll idle without question; but really, it's needed a lot less than what I see out there. Just sayin'...

And no, I don't expect I'll be with May forever; but so far it's been a great place to start. I'd rather have a strict idle policy than drive for Swift...:biggrin_25523:

8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Efon, the guys making a big deal out of it don't even work for May. They're called trolls in chat rooms ;-)

9. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.

Actually, jokes on you. Your problem is you cant think outside the box. You've been a slave for so long, you couldn't tell green grass from ###.

I could point you to a company that you can make $70K your first year with them. Thats real money, not money based on fantasy mileage lol. $100 a day per diem, on their credit card, not out of your own pocket. Hotel room paid every night. Out for 10 to 12 days at a time, and home for 3 or 4 days. Half your wages come as a set salary, so you're not killed while you take a few days off. 6% raise every 6 months, and thats a #### nice raise. You're never rushed, and never asked to do anything that's not legal. The guy in charge of the truckers Hates it when you call him everyday, he dont want to hear from you unless you're dead. In other words, youre a big boy and they want you to act like it. Not a slave like most are used to.

And these guys are BEGGING for decent drivers LOL.

I doubt they'd take a newb, but i'd bet they'll take a guy closing in on a years experience.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Kansas, advertise the company right here, right now. There's a lot of guys who read these threads that have one year plus experience and would be happy to start somewhere fresh for $70,000 a year. Since the guy you're talking about is just begging for drivers, let it rip. Who is it?

As for "thinking outside box"...nevermind, you wouldn't understand anyways ;-)

Joker85 Thanks this.
  11. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    WHO!!! LOL

I have quite a ways until a year, but doesn't mean I haven't been looking around ^.^ But we all know how this works... do you marry the first girl you've ever slept with? if ya did then you're missing out lol. Just saying, ya have to start out somewhere, will I stay with may for the rest of my career, however long that may be, most likely not. And I know im still new so I still have a lot to learn, but I don't have any major 'pains' yet. Yeah they have an Idle policy, something I have to live with, which since its how I started, isn't very hard to do.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for everyone. They have their policy and no matter who says what on here, it isnt going to change... but every company has their rules and just because they have this one doesn't necessarily make it a 'bad' company to work for. I'm sure if I went through every company out there and said well ya know this place sucks cause of a certain rule/policy they had and I took them off my list, I would run out of employment options real quick....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.