May Trucking Mileage

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by jedi_tev, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    1st I agree, Not all experienced drives are worth a ####. Just because you have 5-10-20yrs of driving dosen't mean you have that much experience. I've seen more then one 20yr drive with 1 yr of experience 20 times. Having said that. There is no way you can tell me that ANYONE with less then a year can teach something they barly know them selfs. Heck, it takes a year to just figure out if you want to be in this industry. You can't teach someone to drive in the winter if you haven't done it your self.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Your Right. Years don't equel experience. How ever you can't teach what you don't know. And any one with less then a year in trucking knows nothing. If you don't have atleast 100,000+ miles and a FULL winters driving then you can't teach some one else to do a job that you your self are still learning. I my self have been a trainer and there are two things that I learned doing that. 1 most people have no idea what it takes to be a truck driver. much less a really good one. 2 no one with less then a year should train. not to menchin 3mo. which is all that May requires.

4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    I do not know how long ago or even if you worked there but when I was there they wanted people with 6 months to 1 year experince.

They prefer 1 year but will take you with only 6 months experince to be a trainer but you have to show a good driving skills and no issues with logs or service failures.

5. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    To put it in a more simple way, when you think you know all that there is to driving, then it is time to get off the road. Now you become a risk not only to your self, but to other drivers CDL, and 4-wheelers... Truck driving is a learning experience you will learn something new everyday, no matter how many yrs you have been doing it..

6. moonshadow

moonshadow Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Denver
    Great post there Trucker Steve

The question comes down to this, "Is trucking in your blood or not"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYgZn-Z_1o

7. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    What a crock of ####. I respected your post until I read this paragraph. I was one of the first Werner drivers to test the "paperless log" system in 1998. Werner Enterprises, in cooperation with the FMCSA, conducted a trial of paperless logs to test their feasibility. The program succeeded. It was never a punitive action sanctioned by the FMCSA. Indeed, the FHTSB congratulated Werner for successfully completing the trial run of paperless logs. Mind you, I was never much a fan of going paperless. But to say that Werner was "told to do it or close the doors" is nonsense.

TrailerTruckin Thanks this.
  8. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    The paperless log system has it's pros and cons.

9. Boot

Boot Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Salt Lake City, UT
    60 MPH makes getting more than 600 miles per day difficult in most parts of the country. Even upping the speed to 65MPH would make a significant difference in how much money you can make. Go with May if you don't mind driving with the slowest fleet on the road today. Maybe a good thing for new drivers.

10. squaredeal

squaredeal Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Phoenix AZ
    I do not understand why there is so much negative feedback about almost every company on this website. I have been working for May for 1 month and am over 10,000 miles at this point. That includes 3 days off at home and two days down time for an alternator problem.

I have found that they usually give you more than enough time to deliver so I go straight to the consignee and get there as soon as legally possible. I have almost always been able to drop early and if they know I am going to be early they have pre-planned loads ready to go. Just need to communicate with my driver manager.

I have 10 years otr experience during the "90s and have worked ltl the last seven years but had to go back to long haul because of the economy. Several things have changed about otr but one truth is universal. If you focus on getting the job done, keep your mouth shut and appreciate what you have, things have a funny way of working out.

"It is difficult to be productive while you are busy compaining."

Zoolue and Yatista Thank this.
  11. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    squaredeal You have the right attitude and I wish you luck at May. I just refuse to put up with there stupid rules. No one runs the truck but me and more and more they wanted to. But if you can put up with them then more power to ya.

squaredeal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.