May Trucking new driver training

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Honua Gal, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Plan on 2 weeks at May. Sometimes less, sometime more. 90% of the time I was home every 2 weeks or less.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Upandcomingdriver

Upandcomingdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Colorado
    That is more than managable for me :biggrin_255:

Thanks for the input!

4. bowhunter3125

bowhunter3125 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2008
    klamath falls Or

most of the companies are good at getin ya home when ya need to be, just give them plenty of notice and send them a reminder a 3 days before yer time off, if yer cool with yer DM then they will be cool with you. some of the driverds i have talked to will plan there next time off a couple weeks in advanced

5. Upandcomingdriver

Upandcomingdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Colorado
    Thats good to hear. I just want to make the most educated decision I can when it comes to the companies I apply with. I've dreamed of being an OTR driver pretty much my entire life, and now its within reach. I just want to make sure I don't mess it up by signing on at a bad company.

Also, can you tell me what the minimum age is for passengers when it comes to May?

6. bowhunter3125

bowhunter3125 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2008
    klamath falls Or

it is either 10 or 16, cant remember.

7. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    I'm glad you are likings you new job. Some things to watch out for. 1) they do not like drivers who "cook" the log book. I can't tell you how many drivers I saw get fired because they moved a line 15 minuets this way or that. If you can't log it don't do it.
    2) Pay attention during your training. you will only have about 2 weeks. I know they told you that it is up to you how long it is. but they push the "mentors" to test them out in two weeks. If you fail they will put you with another "mentor" and give you another week or two. If you fail then you may or may not get another shot. When they started the training program a couple of yrs ago I trained for them. Back then it was a trainer/student program. To be a trainer you had to have at least 3+yrs of safe driving. Now any one with 6 months can be a "mentor".

As for the guy in OK. sorry they do not hire from NM,TX,OK, they only hire from areas that they know that they can get you home to and they don't go down there enough to hire from there.

Upandcomingdriver and cpassey Thank this.
  8. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az

I am sure he would. LOL

9. RBPC

RBPC Short & Sassy

Jun 20, 2007
    Where I Want To Be

I believe the drivers have to give/plan there next time off a couple weeks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  10. cpassey

cpassey Light Load Member

This has been a good thread for May.
    I just got a prehire from May last week. :yes2557: I'm working on other prehires from Gordon and System Transport as well.:yes2557:
    Anybody know anything about System Transport out of Spokane?:biggrin_2554:

By the way - What happend to that lady that started this thread??????:biggrin_2551: :biggrin_2552:

11. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I'm glad you are likings you new job. Some things to watch out for. 1) they do not like drivers who "cook" the log book. I can't tell you how many drivers I saw get fired because they moved a line 15 minuets this way or that. If you can't log it don't do it.

I logged the speed limit the entire time I was at May, even though they told us to log 53 so they could maintain their preferred carrier status in OR.

You take that prepass and throw it under the bunk and log your fuel , scale and breaks as they occur and where they occur and you won't hear a peep out of them. I never did.

Log you took a break at Rice Hill and you where in Cayonville playing cards and they will fry your butt.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.