Maybe a Class B is an option?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by spindrift, Jan 5, 2018.

1. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    As I said in another thread, still haven't been able to pull the trigger on making this career change. Lots of questions need answering. So I stopped by a local dump truck outfit that I know to get even more confused. Told the owner I wanted to stay as local as possible. My current "real" job takes me away from home at least once or twice a week but I'm always home on weekends. Told the owner that I was thinking about a Class A and he tried to talk me into going Class B. Asked me why Class A and I said I felt it provided more flexibility in how I might be able to schedule my week. Bah humbug was the answer I got. "I'm home every night and don't have to pay retail rates for my meals. When it comes right down to it, I make just as much money as those guys with a Class A"

So I asked him how much I'd make if I worked for him. He said he pays every one of his drivers a minimum of $500/week just to keep them working and off unemployment. Right now he said it's just too cold for anyone to be moving stone in this part of the world so his guys are cleaning the shop, trucks, whatever needs to be done. I asked what I could earn if I was moving loads all week out of the quarry and he said I could be making up to $800/week. Assuming that's top pay for this outfit, and that's running real hard all week with no problems, I'm wondering what a real average might be and whether I'd be able to make a living.

Do his numbers sound reasonble?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    It kind of depends on a couple things, is it enough for YOU? How many hours a week is that? For 40 hours it's $20/hour, and that's pretty good, but at 50 hours it's $16/hour straight time, and $13 at 60 hours, and notice he said "up to". Are there any benefits, insurance, etc.? I don't understand the "retail rates for meals" unless he means he carries lunch from home.
    It is a foot in the door, will allow you to get some seat time, and you can always move to someplace better later.
    Go for the class A, you might need it when you decide to move on.

Puppage, SplashDogs and Blowcanner1975 Thank this.
  4. spindrift

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I think all he meant is that when you're OTR, paying for meals gets expensive. In his mind, everything evens out over time.

5. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    I am tor I shop for groceries at Wal-Mart. I rarely eat out retail.

6. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    IMO, if you are going to do it, get your Class A. Just because you get it doesn't mean you have to go over OTR. From personal experience, I got my Class B w/ Hazmat when I was 21, hauled fuel in a bobtail for a few years, went to a dump truck outfit, hauled agg for years. I never had a reason to obtain my Class A, so I didn't. Earned a lot of experience, paid my dues, and earned respect from several local companies for my professionalism and the way I cared for someone else's equipment. It reaped dividends, was always taken care of by my employers, i.e. nicest truck, best hauls, etc.. Do someone a good job and you are worth your weight in gold.

I left for driving for 6 years to run heavy equipment in a sand and gravel operation, a nice job I was invited to because the quarry I hauled out of appreciated my work ethic and dependability, and only left because the owner ended up selling to an international conglomerate (can't blame him, the they over-paid for a quarry that was near depletion with no foreseeable reserves). I went back to dump trucking. Been with the same outfit for 10 years now, over the last several years have built a good reputation as I tend to, and have done VERY well.

My boss had been on me to get my Class A so I could pull a pneumatic tank, predominately local, which after the last few years of dealing with co-workers who were...let's be nice and say..steering wheel holders... I was ready to be by myself a little more. Wish I would had done it sooner.

So in my long-winded way of saying it (just wanted to validate my opinion), go ahead and get your Class A if you can, for flexibility. Doesn't mean you can't be content driving a straight dump, but if you wanted to step up to a Class A job, you would be money ahead. Being not too far geographically from you in the greater Cincinnati area, the numbers the gentleman you spoke to are in line, he doesn't know you personally I assume and that is status quo numbers. Get in the door, prove yourself, and whether it be with his company or another you may find after awhile, you can make some $$$. One thing about the driver shortage is the bigger shortage is with GOOD drivers. You will be paid what you are worth. You make someone money, save them money by not tearing up their equipment, and giving a ****, you will get what you are looking for.

Throwing a few numbers to you, and you don't know me from Adam, but hopefully I have conveyed honesty, my last 10 years I have grossed from $48,000.00 /year to last year $68,000.00 /year. ...and I sleep in my own bed every night and buy my meals at a grocery store ;)

Paddlewagon and Dan.S Thank this.
  7. Sumtinlidat

Sumtinlidat Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Las Vegas Nevada
    A little bit of something is better than a whole lotta nothing....

I have drivers with only a Class B and they like that they only drive straight dumps (super 18). Then I have drivers who have class A with all endorsements and still like to drive straight dumps. But they are more diverse for me when they have to step into say an end dump or lowbed or whatever duty calls.

As with any type of trucking. If your coming into it to be a millionaire, this isn’t for you. Time and experience is what will get you paid. Be humble and take advice, good or bad. And put in some loyalty time to whoever will teach you and you’ll make it in this industry. Some of us still believe in handshakes. Just don’t be offended if I refuse to shake your hand.

It’s your license and career your choosing so go with what your comfortable with. Some just like driving a bigger truck. While some want to have as much as possible on the trailer going state to state.

Average aggregate hauling wages are in the 15-20$ range. You will find the higher paying outfits but do they have constant work? Sometimes the lower paying guys keep there trucks moving all year round. Asphalt and concrete always it drivers top dollar salary. But depending on where you are in this world. It may only be a 8-9 month job. Construction has its slow season and the Holliday’s is where most drivers feel the hurt.

35k-50k is what most my guys take home with only driving aggregate. Depending on how hard they wanna play.
    65k-100k is what the guys who do both aggregate and heavy hauling make. But they play hard

SplashDogs Thanks this.
  8. PROPANE

PROPANE Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2016
    is that before or after taxes?

because if its $500 a week - $2000 a month = $24000 a year.

from what some truckers have told me in person, .48 cent a mile is close to $40000 a year. with a class A.

you might start out at $12-13 a hour but might end up $16-$18 a hour driving with just a class B.

I interviewed at a concrete company once and they wanted people with a class A and they would start you out at $16, but the top pay was $17.

overtime is a big factor too, so instead of $24000 a year, it could be over $30000, which isn't bad considering some with a class A are only making $40000, doesn't seem like a big difference . plus you would be closer to home everyday.

9. spindrift

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I'm assuming that's before taxes and if so, that kinda' pay is well below the poverty line. No can do.

10. PROPANE

PROPANE Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2016
    really, $24-30K + is below the poverty line?

I wouldn't do it then.

just know that some OTR jobs some people are posting of 68K a year are people who have been doing it for awhile.

the 46-48 cent a mile thing for 600 miles is 3K-4K a month which seems realistic,

I've seen some class A locally $800 a week, home everyday,

some companies further out from where I am pay $22 a hour, but are about a hour and a half from where I live, too big of a commute everyday for me,

I've seen class B jobs start at $11. it really depends on how lucky you are finding a good paying driving job.

I've worked two weeks straight before and not even bring home $500 after taxes....

just something to consider, you don't just get a CDL , and can drive like you can in a car,

you have to remember that every 2 years you have to have a Medical examiners certificate done, and that costs money, does the employer pay for that? that's about $100 every two years,

CDL's cost money to keep......

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    SplashDogs Thanks this.
  11. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    If its an option get your class A. Nothing wrong with driving a straight truck, but if a better opportunity opens up that requires a class a then your stuck if you only have a B. You can drive a straight truck with a class a but you cant drive a combination vehicle with a class B.

I started out in this industry driving two and three axle roll off trucks. I just started a new job last week pulling a tank and delivering fuel. Ive never spent a night away from home sleeping in a truck either. I just took better opportunity's as they came up. Now I am looking at pulling in 60K a year working days Monday through Friday. My last job payed about 55k a year once again Monday through Friday but it was nights. Both required a class A. If I had a class B I would still be making in that 35 to 40k range on a good year.

I will also add that I am not in an area that is known for high pay either. The median household income in the town I live in is about 40k and the closest major city is 150 miles away. Ive been doing this now for about three and a half years as well so its not like its been a 20 year struggle for me to make it to where I am.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    SplashDogs and spindrift Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.