Mbm foodservice

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by TEN4DISPATCH, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    What I'm putting up with is how I found this forum. I'm shopping new employers and am looking for a good fit. How MBM operates is not the way I operate.

You'd be amazed at how many new hires quit after their first route. The turnover is crazy. And, their reputation has gotten around such that they have nationwide billboards seeking drivers. There are few applicants. Most all the DCs are short drivers. We're short ~10 and that means the vacation and floating holidays you earned end up getting cashed in. They won't just pay you outright for those days. They pay you for your scheduled day off. If you have one day off per week, they pay you for that day for however many weeks it takes burn up your days. There's no sense in rolling your days over to the next year. For everybody to use their all their vacation and floating holidays, we'd need ~6 floaters doing just that. We have 2, sometimes 3, which means everybody is shorted their earned time off.

sidewinder Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sidewinder

sidewinder Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    LaGrange ga
    ducnut, that is the BEST and the truest explanation anyone could ever ask for about MBM. I knew i had amde a mistake when I started with them. dont get me wrong, the money is great, but you earn every penny. Some great people work there. every time I pass a MBM truck, i think there goes a hard working man. Physically, i stayed in pain more than i did when i was in basic training. I hope you find something better soon. im making a lot less money, but i figure my health and saftey are better.

4. sandal0906

sandal0906 Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I27
    Try hauling fuel. I use to work at mclane, an from your description of mbm, mclane is a spitting image! Why do all grocery/food service companys have to suck so bad?! Im hauling fuel now and loving it. Home almost everynight, pay is almost the same as what I was making at mclane, and the biggest perk....NO MORE RAMPS!!!

5. double_r

double_r Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Not all of them suck, but MBM and McLane seem to be the two that have the most complants.

6. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I was hoping that what I posted wouldn't come off as being an exaggeration. Your response is confirmation of my being forward.

Bet he didn't wave back!

I used to run a couple of monster routes (tons of miles and pieces, cubes maxed). When I'd wake up in the morning, my feet would be swollen. As I stepped onto the floor, I could feel the blood squish from my soles.

herring22 Thanks this.
  7. Sleeptalker

Sleeptalker Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2011
    middle georgia
    Geez...how do people do this for a living then. Is it really absolute hell in every aspect of it with the exception of the pay? I currently work in construction where I move heavy equipment on a lowboy and help a paving crew which has some walking ,shoveling in freezing and smoldering hot days. MBM wants me to interview. What would be some good questions to ask the inteviewer to determine if the DC is one of the good or one of the bad ones( I was thinking of printing out duc's statement to see how he would answer to it).

8. samcro

samcro Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2011
    the desert north of ellay
    roflmao... just found this MBM thread... I'm currently on Workers Comp in CA after 4.5 years running the ramp for SYGMA...turn over? Well, when I hired I was driver #109. At my 1 year anniversary I was driver #68 - currently #34...at the DC I was/am at, the top 45 drivers or so have a lower leaving rate. I trained 13 drivers in 1 year...2 stayed & still there. Half of them didn't finish the 6 weeks out with me. Food Service delivery drivers make good $$, some of them do less for their money than others. SYGMA, you touch everything 2x, cubed out, 14 stops avg 36k loads. Kicked my ###, tore up my elbows, literally. But, I will be hard pressed to find a comparable job as far as the money & benefits. I didn't mind the job, glad I'm not doing it anymore, and I doubt I will ever run another food service route because of my elbow damage.

sidewinder Thanks this.
  9. samcro

samcro Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2011
    the desert north of ellay
    D'oh, just realized I called you sleepWalker...sorry:biggrin_25524:

As far as the DC... you aren't going to know how the DC is run until you are out there unloading the trailers... but a couple things you can find out are: you want to know where you will be as far as on the extra board (and how long an average extra board stay is) or if you will get assigned to a route. Extra board, sucks, but it is part of the life in FS. Ask how big the normal routes are, stops, lbs. Find out what concepts (restaurants) they have. Full service /sit-down restaurants tend to order 3x a week so smaller average loads - burger factories can be heavy. Best case, see if you can find a truck from that DC (park and wait/watch?) and ask several drivers. If they (drivers) tell you they would rather be at MBM than SYGMA...no, really, then as long as you don't mind the hard work - it's not that bad once you get into a routine, pull the trigger and put on the MBM uni!

Sleeptalker Thanks this.
  10. Sleeptalker

Sleeptalker Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2011
    middle georgia
    Talked to the guys at mbm today...met with the trans superintendent and manger, they both seemed like decent guys...I was told i would be on extra board possibly for a year...they deliver to Captain D's and Mcallister's mainly, I was told that the items are lighter than burger joints etc....it was alot of info to process...alot of what ducnut said was true though, they use ryder equipment, slip seat or whatever...was told that every bit of space was going to be utilized on the trailer, they didnt pressure me to take the job and was told to take my time and think about it...I was told that the unloading was 70% unloaded by door to the restaurant and 30% rolling the handcart to the freezer...I think im gonna take samcro's advise and do alittle private eye work on one of there drivers if i have time... I could read posts on these forums all day, I think that the only way to find out if a job like this is for you is to give it a try, Worst case scenario is a two month inconvience of unemployment from a bad mistake...best case scenario is I make 20k more a year and get my fat ### in shape:bootyshake:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  11. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Me too. I've had both elbows (ulnar tranpositions), both wrists (carpal tunnel releases), and tendon fixed in my hand. Went back to work and messed up the same tendon again. I had to give it up, to save what I have left of my health.

As I drive by restaurants, I think to myself "Gawd! I'm glad I'm not delivering to restaurants anymore.".

McAlister's should be tailgate delivery; where they come fetch it from the truck. You supply the carts.

And the ratio is more like 50/50. You have about half freezer/cooler and half dry.

Sleeptalker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.