Melton Truck Lines...Your opinion? Advice?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by truckerbunny, Mar 13, 2018.

1. truckerbunny

truckerbunny Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    Hi guys, I'm the wifey of a trucker who recently graduated CDL school 6 months ago. He has been driving reefers with Stevens Transport, but we are ready to GO! (Fyi, horrible company for pay and they nickel and dime you for EVERYTHING! But the training was good atleast)

I digress.

With 6 months of experience under his belt, and a hazmat/tanker endorsement, he was offered a position at Melton Truck Lines.

Here is the benefit package:

• (Removed info just Incase it was sensitive information for the company)
    From what I found on Google/Youtube, Melton Truck Lines has great reviews from truckers, but I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who has worked for them, or if you have worked for them, that can give an HONEST opinion.

This is his first time doing Flatbed, so opinions of how you enjoy Flatbed trucking is also appreciated! (He was a Cable Repair Technician prior to CDL school, so he's used to climbing, safety, labor, and heights due to working in attics and climbing telephone poles).

Oh! I forgot to mention, I'm not 100% sure how many miles he will average. I don't even know how many miles Flatbed truckers usually average, so if you can give me an idea, that'd be great.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    Before I even start... because I'm feeling generous and actually drive for them... and you sound rather... put together with said questions...

Where do you call home base and how often would you like to see that front door?

Crusader66 and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Wifey bunny. Keep in mind that current drivers might not want to post stuff that will be seen by the company snoops. It’s a real risk to your career. Good luck. i am actually amazed you got those pay quotes. Must be new raised pay that I wasn’t aware.

5. truckerbunny

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    OHHH, I didn’t think about that. I’m completely new to this world. Maybe they can message me instead

I’m actually really impressed with the pay quote too, for a newbie trucker, I know it’s good pay, I’m just scared there won’t be enough miles or they treat their drivers bad

6. truckerbunny

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    We don’t have a home. Florida, technically is because we keep our mail going to my sisters house. But I am a travel Blogger, so we take our home time where ever in the country we want. We would stay in AirBNBs, or in the truck, and I blog on it. I know the recruiter said that technically we could only take home time on the east coast, but they’re looking into it to see if there’s an exception since we don’t have a home. If I had to say, I’d probably want to go back to Florida maybe once or twice a year.

Edit
    Just to clarify I do NOT blog on trucking or the company. I blog about tourist attractions, hotels, food and landmarks. Basically anything interesting I see.

Oxbow and stwik Thank this.
  7. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    There was something in the pipeline when I first started here about them allowing drivers who lived in a certain area to change their home address for hometime. Pretty sure it excluded Florida though.

We're stuck with 3 weeks out down here before we get to send our macro for home time.

Crusader66 and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    @Boattlebot drove for them . I don't think he's still there though.

SAR, Crusader66, Mike2633 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    If the pay scale you originally posted is what he was offered.... nice.

I believe we start drivers with six months of experience at/around 0.43 to 0.45 a mile. This was before our recent 0.02 pay raise across the board... the senior driving rumor mill is going around that we're all gonna be getting a major pay increase late 2018 but that's probably just the old hands trying to stir up the pot. I'll believe it when I see it.

He will get the hazmat bonus on hazmat loads only. It will only included his loaded miles and not any deadhead. Canada pay works the same way. That will put him around 0.52 with hazmat on the deck and 0.52 if he's Canada bound. I'm not even sure what our oversized pay is anymore, I see those loads so infrequently.

FYI, were paid zip/RandMcnally miles. It'll be about 10% less than the hub miles on any given run. I'm doing about 1375 miles on my current load -- including the deadhead to get it from my previous delivery -- Melton is paying me in the 1250 range. For some that's a deal breaker. Just so you're aware. I believe Stevens is on a similar system so it should be nothing new.

Being you live in Florida you'll see east coast a lot. Yes, you'll see the lower 48 if you stay here long enough but the absolute vast majority of our freight is on and east of the I35 corridor. This includes New York City. I've spent A LOT of time in the Washington DC and Baltimore area. They'll pay extra for dealing with NYC and if you deliver metro D.C/Boston etc you'll receive some extra cash. I believe it's in the $25/35 range.

Being you ride with him, and pending you may have a pet?, you'll lose out on some freight from steel mills. US Steel and Alcoa come to mind immediately but I'm sure there's plenty of others -- with that being said we have a whole pile of drivers with pets and SO's who ride along and none complain about missing out on miles or runs.

As far as flatbedding goes... that's a pretty personal thing, honestly. He's gonna love it or hate it. It WILL take him time to become comfortable with it. Especially since he might not go out with a trainer and I honestly don't think the 4-day orientation is enough due to the "quality" I've seen them spit out.

Miles average? Jeez, somewhere in the ballpark of 2400-3600 is company average (I'm guessing). You're gonna have weeks that are on the high end and even in the low 4000s, and weeks that's are significantly less. Flatbed frieght is affected by the seasons, more than any other sector in this industry, and it'll show in the winter time.

Thats all I got for now...
    Not afraid to answer any specifics you might have but a recruiter could definitely get you a solid factual answer.

SAR and Crusader66 Thank this.
  10. truckerbunny

Mar 13, 2018
    Florida
    They said .45 start with .06 for Hazmat, but the recruiter made it seem like it was a flat increase for having it. I’ll call to verify. The recruiter also said .05 cent raise after 6 months with the company. So it’d actually be .50 after 6 mo, not including Haz-Mat. I’m sad we misunderstood the Haz-Mat pay. I’ll have him call the recruiter to double check the 6 mo pay increase, because now I’m worried there may have been miscommunication somewhere. It’s all good, means my numbers were a bit off because of it but it’s still better than Stevens .33 and 1800 mile average lol.

How does the company treat you? You run a lot of miles, I’m super impressed! We are so traumatized from Stevens, I’m scared we’ll end up with 1500 mile weeks again. When you first started, did they treat you with bad loads because you were new or did they give you a fair shot and you also got at least 2500 miles a week in?

You gave me so much information, this is great. Out of all the job offers he’s gotten, I’m really leaning towards Melton.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.