Memphis Team thinking about leasing on with Landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by KWDriver, May 19, 2012.

1. KWDriver

KWDriver Bobtail Member

May 19, 2012
    Memphis, Tn
    No, Kelly is going to call me back Monday so i can take my drug screen.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jigsaw

Jigsaw Light Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Colorado Springs, Co
    My husband and I run team. Memphis is a great area for van freight usually. There is not alot of team loads w/Landstar but many single loads can deliver early making it worthwhile for a team. That's is something you need to know when you book the load. The agent that has the regular freight from Chicago to Miami is a great agent to work with on a regular basis. However, we do not haul that load because most of the time there isn't any decent freight to get out of Florida.
    Also, give yourself a good 6 months to learn most of the Landstar system. Then go get your own trailer. It is worth it.
    As far as A&E, we went through most of the process and I personally do not believe the hastle and additional cost is worth it anymore. We run into A&E drivers all the time hauling general freight. DoD is the same as any other shipper anymore. "Show me the low bid and I'll put you on the list" Just my opinion.

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  4. KWDriver

KWDriver Bobtail Member

May 19, 2012
    Memphis, Tn
    Thanks, I was looking at those loads yesterday. We would lose out on a lot of drop & hook loads right?

5. Jigsaw

Jigsaw Light Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Colorado Springs, Co
    With your own trailer,DO NOT HAUL FDA LOADS! Usually takes hours to get loaded & unloaded. Most will not pay detention.
    Other than that, you will figure out which shippers load pretty quick and who doesn't. That is one of the questions to ask when you book the load. Some agents will know and some won't. Ask if the load pays detention or not.
    Once you get in with Landstar, send me a message and I will be happy to give you some pointers on the system.
    Drop & hooks are OK. But, if you are truely a team who runs hard, after 6 months of learning, go back 3 months and figure what the trailer revenue would have been. We run hard for about 5 weeks and take a week or 2 off. We make enough from the trailer revenue to make the payment, pay the insurance and still have a fair amount left. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you to leave that money on the table for L/S.
    And, when I say we run hard, we do when we are running. If we are going to an area and want to go see something, we do. I will just book a load for when we want to leave the area. That is why we love the L/S system. What works for some doesn't always work for everyone. Some gripe about L/S and others have learned to make the L/S system work for them.

LSAgentOZR Thanks this.
  6. KWDriver

KWDriver Bobtail Member

May 19, 2012
    Memphis, Tn
    You are right! We are very familiar with booking our loads and I will be sure to calculate the revenue with/without our own trailer. What type of truck/trl you all have?

7. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Great posts Jigsaw. Thanks for sharing!

8. Jigsaw

Jigsaw Light Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Thanks OZR. Haven't had the opportunity to work with you yet. I do watch your agency though and I am sure we will work together one of these days.

9. KWDriver

KWDriver Bobtail Member

May 19, 2012
    Memphis, Tn
    Looks like Orientation will be Monday, thanks for all the information everywhere!

10. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Good info Keep us posted with your rates and also keep us posted with what the team freight looks like.

11. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I second this, my wife and I have a goal of becoming an O/O team leased onto landstar. So please let us know how things go. Thanks and good luck on your adventure.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.