Metal Transportation - Multiple Addresses

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by eofeapr, Oct 9, 2005.

1. eofeapr

eofeapr Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2005
    Hello to all. Here is my 2 cents worth on Metal for those interested.

Before I even got a job with them I had been told they were a bad venture but I had to try em. Well the roumors were all true.

This company had been a recent failure and is now trying to restructure with the help of the companies who they work for.
    It seems that 3 clients who move metal coils pumped money into Metal to keep there comodities moving.
    As a result the company is staffed by people from many different places. Nobody knows anybody and probably don't know how to work together as of yet.

The SAFETY guy is a nice old guy who drove trucks a long time and had a few trucks of his own. But I don't think he serves the company very well. He is reponsible for conducting a 3 day orientation which consists of him reading a few pages from the manual, telling a few old stories, and showing his age with displays of disorganization.
    I personally had to have words with him when in my second week was given a dangerouly loaded trailor of cargo. " You'll be O K" I was told " you're only going a mile with it".
    This load was illegal and no safety guy who takes his or her job seriously would even consider letting someone drive it.
    Long story short, I wound up talking it over with the vice president of the company who, having been a driver for years, agreed I had made a good point and was justified in not taking the load.

The coils division consists of a fleet of Peterbuilts that seem as if they were bought on the cheap at a pick-n-pull yard and most times are quite filthy. They are noisey, have about 800 thousand miles on the average, and leak fumes into the cab.
    Also, this is a covered wagon so unless you got a one stop dedicated run get ready to wear that tarp and all the siut that's on it.

Watch your pay!!! Count every penny and save all receipts cause you're gonna need em. My first pay was 120.00 dollars short and I knew it before I even took a tally. You know how much your pay check should be just by the miles you put in. Any driver can round it out in their head and come very close every time.

Hey with just a few lines I think I've said plenty. Want to know more PM me and ask anything specific.

Keep the greasy side down and the dry side up...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    I assume that you are offering a report on Metal Transportation Systems, Inc. They were once located in Ringgold, Georgia, near my home. At one time, they were a great company, as flatbed operations go, but there seems to have been some real problems with that company in the past few years.

They filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2003.

A quick check with FMCSA reveals that they are no longer registered to operate as a motor carrier under that name.

The funny thing is....I saw one of those trucks just the other day. I was surprised to see it, and I'm almost positive that it had the same pink lettering that they used to have They also still have a web site, such as it is, so I'm even more confused.

Does anyone have any information to explain this? Have they changed names? I'm not sure I'd even go close to one of those trucks, with this type of confusion surrounding it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
  4. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

I've seen some of their trucks fairly recently, running around the upper midwest area within the past few weeks, green with pink lettering pulling covered wagons. I can't positively confirm this, but I heard word about a month - 2 months ago that they were in big financial trouble, and were looking at some kind of reorganization. Haven't talked to any of their drivers, but the equipment looks to be getting a little bit more ragged as time goes on, and that could be an indicator of troubles for them.

5. wondera

wondera Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I just spoke to a couple of drivers from Metal Transp. and it seems that they have changed their name so they could go on operating, going by the name XXpress Transportation Leasing Co.out of Utah, and they weren't too happy working for them and not just because of their ratty beaten down horrible equipment poorly maintained, also they spend most of their time under the filthy tarp cause of multiple stops. Because of financial problems they've been sticking their drivers with fines from DOT of things wrong with their equipment and invalid permits. The drivers mentioned this happening to at least 6 other drivers. Apparently drivers were paying health ins. and life insurance and found out there was no coverage from the insurance companies. Also heard safety person has a motto, "drivers that work there a long time are high maintainance and low productivity therefore it's best to get rid of them" he claims to be the owners right hand man. I guess drivers are getting screwed over by them left and right. I guess they won't see me there anytime soon. BEWARE ANYONE OUT THERE CONSIDERING WORKING FOR THEM

6. MrsOxydizer

MrsOxydizer Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Actually, they filed for re-organizational bankruptcy on October 24, 2002. It took them nearly 5 years to get a plan together that was approved by the courts. Currently they are trying to make payments on that plan but I suspect they are also trying to move assets away from Metal so they can't be seized when they fail to pay off the plan and that is why they also have Xxpress in Utah. The link you posted is just for updated information on the bankruptcy.

I have read most of the bankruptcy files as I am an un-secured creditor listed in the bankruptcy. They have totally screwed over several injured workers. So employees beware, if you get injured you might not get help. Since March of this year it appears they have been making their payments as there has been nothing new added to the bankruptcy in the way of motions from people who have not received their payments.

However, in the bankruptcy papers Metal claims that they started Xxpress solely for the purpose of training new drivers and handling the payroll for the companies. Obviously this is not true as there are no more Metal trucks. Also Xxpress was to be located in E. Syracuse, NY not in Utah where they are currently located. Another fraud commited by the company. In the bankruptcy papers it is indicated that fraud has run ramped during the bankruptcy. Metal and its owner Mark Longshore had sold assets belonging to the company without court permission which is a definite no no during bankruptcy. He has transferred ownership of assets without permission as well.

This company is on shaky ground to say the least and I would say is not totally honest in their dealings in my opinion. Driver beware, be careful if you choose to drive for them.

I remember when this company was an excellent company to work for. I'm not sure what happened, or why things went down hill real fast. Perhaps it was the owners irresponsibility in dealing with things. I think he went a bit crazy when he sank a quarter of a million dollar boat in a lake and then went out and bought another one. You and I can't throw money away like that.

Good luck to you all.
    Mrs O

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    If you're driving a rattle-trap truck for this company, just be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector on board. Get one from an RV shop, turn it on, and never turn it off. If it goes off, pull 'er over and keep 'er there until the leak is fixed...on the company's dime, not yours. If they don't want to fix the leak, empty 'er out and head to the bus station.

Fumes leaking into the cab is a good way to end up with half your brain cells dead. It's also a good way to end up incapacitated like that guy who's sitting in a wheelchair in Florida now thanks to a 2002 Century he was driving that leaked fumes into the cab. Of course, he had no CO detector on board. Make sure you have one. ALWAYS.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Worse than that, you could pass out and wind up killing somebody.

9. Ghost7.62

Ghost7.62 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    It's sad to hear that they have degenerated this bad:biggrin_25513:. I worked for Metal from January 1999 thru December 2000. They had great benefits, pay, and I was on a first name basis with my dispatcher. But, My wife wanted me home more.

10. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Is this the same company that Cybergal posted a story about in the "Truckers News' forum? If so, they got shut down by the state. :)

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Only by the state of NY.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.