MI non-CDL Class A license

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Groo, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Groo

Groo Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Sometime early in my career, the SOS screwed up my license and issued me a class A Operator's license instead of a class A Chauffeur's license. A police officer gave me a ticket for it. I got things straitened out at the SOS and got the ticket dismissed.
    Now I am at a point where a class A Operator's license may be what I need.
    Does it actually exist in MI as the cop seamed to think it does? He said it would be for someone who drives a truck, but that isn't the primary job function. That is pretty much me for the last 8 years.
    What would be the uses of such a license? Would it be what I was lead to believe?
    Would I need a medical card with an operator's license?

I am not finding much information on this on-line.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I ran under a non CDL as a Tier two in Arkansas for years. That means a oath signed paper stating I am not a Medical card holder and am not in interstate or intrastate commerce. At that point I am free to drive any #### thing with many wheels as long it has more than two on public roads and that I own it outright. That's one of a few restrictions.

It's very close to a CDL in appearance, but when a policeman goes into the checking on it in his computer he will understand that it's not for working in trucking with actual paying loads at all. Unless one of 4 restrictions are met. One example farm to market, another would be hauling bodies in a reefer from a national disaster of some sort. etc.

Even with that, there is still the standard battery of tests required such as general knowledge, air brake etc. Also vision. Since it was grandfathered there was no need to run a actual 18 wheeler in renewal. Or worry about a auto restriction because I never had such a thing.

My medical situation improves slowly. If it is built and repaired back to where I might try to get back into this thing, I will have to do it from a newbie who has never held one at all. Although we do have a small section in our Government at the state level capable of reissuing Class A's depending on the situation and passing of the necessary and required exams etc.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    ZVar and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    No, the cdl threshold is the weight of the vehicle, a total and/or registered. 26,001 or greater, you need a cdl, period. Doesn't matter if it's only once in 10 years of employment, that one time, you need to be licensed properly. If you don't need a cdl, you don't need an A license either.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    MI has the standard A, B, D, etc levels of license.

It also has a chauffeur's license. Basically it's a money grab by the state. The chauffeur's license is needed whenever a person drives and makes money from driving. Anyone from a 1,000,000 lb superload all the way down to a prius delivering pizza.

To drive a CMV, well @Ridgeline posted the manual which has in it the requirements for each class of license.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.