Microsoft Excel to keep track of loads/miles/notes

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by RetiredSarge, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rakagonza

rakagonza Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Hello
    Happy New Year
    Would you be kind enough to send me the link to this spreadsheet so I can start my year on the right foot?
    Thanks

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    dieselboss has a really nice spreadsheet already made out. they're charging $28 for it. yearly.

openoffice.org is free as you WILL need some type of spreadsheet program to use it.

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I was using Open Office but have since moved over to Libre Office. Anohter free package. To snowwy's point though, you don't need a pre-made spreadsheet, just create your own! Spreadsheets are just like ledger pads you write on. By creating your own, it is exactly that..... your own customized to what you want and need. Sure, it takes a little time to do it, but you can build a simple spreadsheet very quickly, then you can fine tune it to further meet your needs as you go along. Best of all, if you use something like Open Office or Libre Office, the whole process is totally FREE!

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

You could just use the per diem rather than tracking actual costs of meals, etc., I prefer separating some of my maintenance costs such as for tires, pm's (oil changes), etc., If you are primarily interested in keeping costs separated for taxes, you could get a copy of a tax form and follow it. I prefer using software specifically geared toward the trucking industry. It saves time and enables me to more easily print out a profit and loss at any time. I do know a couple of owners who use Quick Books Pro. They seem to like it. If you don't want to have separate accounts set up, you could put all maintenance costs into a single account. Meals and other costs of being on the road and used for personal consumption may be put into a single account, such as "travel expenses."

7. RVTransporter

RVTransporter Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Goshen, Indiana
    ...snip
    ...snip

This is how I made my spreadsheet. After I got the tax stuff done, I added other things I wanted to track.

8. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    A year or so ago, I asked on this forum about spreadsheets. Got very little, if any, response. Turns out, the lack of help was a tremendous benefit because I decided to try to make one myself, not having a clue where to begin. After much trial and error, and help from no one else, I accomplished what I set out to do. I fact, like someone else mentioned, I have one for the income side and one for the taxes side of the business.

The only bad thing, at least for me, is I discovered I am never really happy with what I have. There is always one more little tweak I want it to do. My current sheet has formulas inside formulas inside formulas and goes about 50 columns across the page. It is more detailed than I ever could have imagined.

So to the folks that say learn it and build it yourself, it isn't that hard....thank-you. I did that very thing and I highly encourage others to do the same and not rely on others to give it to you.

"Leave the cave, kill it, and drag it home" - Dave Ramsey

Cabinover101 and Mark Kling Thank this.
  9. quirsa

quirsa Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Hello, I am contacting you because i am searching how to help my dad keep track of his trucking expenses. I saw the example page that you uploaded and it looks perfect, exactly what i am looking for. Therefore, i would like to know if i may have a copy that i can download into my computer. Thank you and i hope you can help me. :biggrin_25519:
    - Quirsa

10. Rich_Trucking

Rich_Trucking Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    CAN someone Please post some of these spreadsheets OR PM me. I really need something to help me get organized. I recently got my authority and would appreciate it if someone can help me out. The templates Excel has online doesn't seem to work for trucking.

THANK YOU

11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Any spreadsheet will work. They all pretty much are the same. If you want something specific to your business in a spreadsheet, you will need to create your own templates. If you want something specific to the trucking industry, there are several software programs available that are specific to this industry. Most can be purchased at minimal cost and are already set up and ready to use. I can suggest a few that you might check. Some have a trial that you can download to se how you like them. You can also go to the OOIDA website and check out their spreadsheet for owner operators.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.