Microsoft Street and Trips

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by KGB0911, Dec 28, 2008.

1. KGB0911

KGB0911 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa

Not going to call 'BS' on this one, cause i am sure it is true in some states, like VA where it is illegal to have a radar detector, or NY where it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving.

I've gone thru countless scale houses, passed countless law enforcement officers, and dont get a ticket. I will look for that 'law' in the green federal book, but dont think that will keep me from using it. Why do they make and sell those laptop stands that bolt between the passengers seat and the floor for trucks if they are illegal?? thanks for the info tho

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    It ain't illegal, it is up to the officer. And they have been passing out tickets. And I used to do the laptop stuff, I'll stick with the puny little Garmin on my dash. The PC laptop was so unreliable, always needed rebooting at the worst possible times, etc.

The Garmin just works, just like my Mac. No more PC's for me.

Mike

4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Which is why mine is in "hibernation" mode whenever I am stopped. :biggrin_255:

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I use both. The PC is more reliable than the Garmin in inner city driving situations.

None of my PC's ever needing rebooting at a critical time.

I've rolled across every scale there is to roll across. With my PC on and in full view. Never had an issue....even in AZ. But then again, I have my fonting and visuals set so high, you can read the map from across the median...#### near it.

NM DOT thought it was cool :D

6. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    then if it isnt illegal, they have no grounds to issue a ticket since i am not braking the law, yes? and if i DO get a ticket that is issued with no 'code' i'm breaking, i'll be fightning it.

Oh...and there isnt one single GPS anything out on the market that anybody can rely on 100%. I will still follow (for the most part) the directions i get from the company, i will still double check that 'low clearance' chart in my motor carriers atlas, etc.

I can tell you there are quite a few drivers i've spoken to about using anything GPS related, who have told me that even with all the 'trucker stuff' turned on, size of vehicle, etc...telling the computer you are 13' 6" tall, and it will still lead you down roads with 12' bridges.

you cannot rely 100% on them. I mainly want it so i can know exactly where i am at, know what streets are coming up so i dont miss an important turn during the dead of night. Not every city puts street signs in exactly the same spot, and not every city puts them in such a manner where they are easily visible.

7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Arizona had an issue with this. It's my understanding, they modified the law to accomodate the GPS usage.

All of the above is true.

I'll go one further than that.... I live in a town, that is 3 miles across in any direction. I have lived here for most of my life.

I had a driver ask me were 2nd Avenue was. To which I responded, we don't have a 2nd Avenue, where are you going?

I got him where he was going...took him there myself. It's kinda hard to get a truck in.

Imagine my embarrassment when I read the street sign.....3 blocks from my house. A street I drive on everytime I'm home.

2nd Avenue.

8. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is no way I could have my laptop up front with me while I'm driving. The urge to use it would be to great.

Anyhow, my brother in law got a Tom-Tom for $100, when I ever get home, I'm thinking I might get me one. I know they will lead you under a low bridge, but you can't rely on them them, just use them as a tool. What I want one for is I'm getting older, and the eyeballs aren't as good as they used to be, especially in the dark. When I'm approaching an intersection on a dark rainy night it would be nice to glance at a little screen on my dashboard to see what the name of the street is instead of slowing down to 5 mph and trying to find the hidden street sign.

9. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    someone mentioned there is an add-on or template for S &T showing wal-marts and truck stops? please list on here or PM me. thanx

10. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa

well i am not using it while i am driving to check real estate trends, or the stock market or on AOL sending 10 IMs a minute. LOL

11. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The ONLY state to give drivers flack for having an "open lap top" was New Mexico, and they stopped until there is a "Determination" from the DOT. There were several drivers ticketed for "watching" television because the lap tops were capable of playing DVD's on.
    Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, some of the newer "dash-mount" GPS units are capable of playing PSP or IPOD scaled-down video.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.