Microsoft Street and Trips

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by KGB0911, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Tuckster

Tuckster Light Load Member

May 12, 2008
    Hanover, Va
    Mine rides in the passenger seat (when my wife isn't there) and I use it for GPS, but mainly to access DDL, my electronic log. I got pulled in Slohio for running 58 in a 55 and got a warning but the officer decided to do a DOT on me while he had me. I showed him my laptop with DDL running and he had no problems with it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pork Chops

Pork Chops Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Tulsa,Ok
    It is NOT illegal to use your laptop while driving. The feds ruled on that last fall, after Az tried to write a driver ticket. The feds slapped AZ DOT hands and told them they could only write up a driver IF they saw him driving distracted, and then they can only write it for distracted driving.
    Same thing goes for cell phones, The feds say no tickets for cell phones either, they already have laws for driving while distracted. The abilty to break the law is not an offence. Several States still argue this but the Feds have spoken. Feds told them to enforce the laws they have and drop it.

Get Co-Pilot It is easest to use and learn. Not perfect but beats heck out of those little car GPS units. Paid for itself when I set it to avoid Toll Roads. You will toss out your road atlas in 3 months. :biggrin_25511:

4. KGB0911

KGB0911 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    i'd never toss my road atlast, even though i've got S & T now. It saved me a couple wrong turns already. But i still wouldnt toss my atlas. What happens when your computer or Garmin goes on the blink, and some bug has it messed up and you dont have the first #### clue how to fix it quick?

i'd always have Rand McNally close by....

5. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    SHOW the FED Determination.

6. hd51panhead

hd51panhead Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2009
    carlisle, oh
    buy an atlas. or better yet save your money and use mapquest. wish i had ur money

7. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Microsoft Streets and Trips shows detail you wont find in an atlas or by using MapQuest.
    Work HARDER and SAVE MORE and soon you will have (not MY money) as much money as I do.

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    So you have an air card? At what price per month ? Mapquest = Aircard

I paid $69 for my mapping software. ONE TIME

And a tad over $200 for a stand alone GPS unit, later ONE TIME

Sure wish I had your money.

9. Pur48Ted

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    $69????
    Boyo, did you get screwedbluedandtattooed.
    I paid $29 for MSST.

10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Mine included the GPS receiver. I can get just the mapping software for $29.95 :D

My wife however, got me the latest software and GPS as an anniversary gift, for only $49.95. And I later bought a Garmin, to protect my laptop from excessive use.

I still do a route comparison, using PC miler.

Actually, we could all save money. By using a cell/Blackberry.

You get GPS, streaming XM, and internet service. To go along with your phone service. All on one item.

FYI...for all you hunters out there. Garmin now sells a handheld GPS that streams XM. So now you can listen while you hunt/hike LOL

11. TempoDrivinMarty

TempoDrivinMarty Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Greenville, SC
    I have both Microsoft Streets and Trips, and I have DeLorme. I bought MS when I was having problems getting a GPS signal with DeLorme. Come to find out my problem was coming from my FM transceiver. Dumped that and hadn't had a problem since. I used MS quit a bit on a project I was doing, but for trucking I prefer DeLorme for trucking. I've download truck stops, low bridges and other stuff from . I've also uploaded several of my files there including "truckers notes" and "truckers chapels". Files from POI-Factory are geared towards Tom Tom and Garmin, the files can be manipulated for MS Streets and DeLorme.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.