Mid-roof for dry-van

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Saminhas, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Saminhas

Saminhas Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Hello

I got freightliner Coronado mid-roof. Am planning to pull reefer with it. But have been suggested that the fuel economy will be affected as it is mid-roof. I have been trying to find a canopy to install on top. But couldn't find one.
    A)Is there a place where I can order one.
    B) the alternative is installing a wing on top of cab. Are they effective.
    C) how much of difference in fuel economy I am looking at if I leave it as it is.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area

RollingRecaps and Saminhas Thank this.
  4. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    I've run a mid roof with a van for a while now. Granted, I drive the brick pictured in my avatar, so... Still, going to this truck from my full on, condo roofed, aerodynamic 387 saw a fuel mileage drop of, wait for it... Oh, this truck actually gets better mileage. All I have up there is a little wing that the truck came with. The money you will spend adding something to the top of your cab will take many years to pay off in fuel savings. The aerodynamic additions only start to really matter if you're going to drive fast...but, if you're actually concerned about fuel economy, you wouldn't be driving fast, would you?

Bean Jr., Saminhas and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The newer reefer units and trailers are not too bad and are somewhat aerodynamic with their own design. A full condo would perhaps be slightly better [mpg] in certain wind conditions but I would not worry too much about it.

I'm sure there is probably an add-on deflector that can be added if you had the money and determination and wanted to worry about future leaks

Saminhas Thanks this.
  6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Call a salvage yard if you want to bolt on an adjustable deflector, they normally have stacks of them sitting around. Risk of leaks for .2mpg lol

Saminhas Thanks this.
  7. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Just put on a different wing .

Saminhas Thanks this.
  8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    It'll be fine. Save your money, as stated the reefer acts as a bit of a nose cone anyways.

Saminhas Thanks this.
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Agree with the others above. You'll see a small gain. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that.

A light foot and keeping the gap between sleeper and trailer to a minimum will benefit you way more though.

Saminhas Thanks this.
  10. IH Branded

IH Branded Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Great Lakes area
    Been there. The reduced mileage never ended up being what others predicted. I put a foldable one on and the gain vs. the shop bill was not worth it. FWIW

Saminhas Thanks this.
  11. Saminhas

Saminhas Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for your responses and advice. I will start without a canopy/wing. Currently the truck is running on flatbed if the reefer gives me FE less than the deck then I will install a wing.
    Once again thank you everyone...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.