Midland VS Cobra witch is better for truckers orenthusiasts

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by kwfan558, Jul 14, 2011.

1. kwfan558

kwfan558 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2011
    MILL TOWN
    hey all is a Midland or a Cobra CB radio better ? i have a midland 75 822 and i go by billy the kid on the cb but i whant your say in witch is better Midland or Cobra . 10 4

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I would pick any radio over a midland.

poppapump1332 Thanks this.
  4. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    What's wrong with a Midland?

BTShepp and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Based on the ones I have owned from CB to Low/High band VHF to 2 and 220 I haver not found them to be very good ..... only REGENCY ( HR-6/ HR-2/ HR-220 ) were lower.

AND .....

Don't buy a REGENCY HR - Series unless you are willing to replace every resistor in the radio .

6. Thpbltblt

Thpbltblt Light Load Member

May 18, 2011
    Dacula, Georgia
    I've got an old Midland that works just fine, but was looking for something a bit newer with some bells and whistles on it. Picked myself up a Uniden, and not only have I read people on the forums say they're good for a stock radio (and say they're essentially the same as the Cobras), but I don't have any complaints myself. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

slim6596 Thanks this.
  7. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Cobra or Uniden are just fine My CB base is a GRANT LT ......

Midland DOES make some good radios but even the Part 90 and HAM VHF ones were only SO-SO ..... They are one step better than REGENCY at least the parts don't go bad after just a few years ......

8. Yup

Yup Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Everywhere,USA(Texas)
    Cobra without a doubt,decades with several stable platforms,some of the very best ssb ever built.

9. M818

M818 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Midland was acceptable but the $40 one I bought 2 years ago forgets what channel it is on if the 12V is removed from it. That is not acceptable considering the equally cheap Uniden remembers the channel.

Wasn't the Radio shack Navaho SSB rig "TRC-458" made by Cobra? That was a darn fine unit.

10. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    I have the same issue...I have a Midland 77-155 that loses it's memory everytime power is removed. It's default channel is channel 9. I've been trying to find out what I can change inside the radio so it defaults to channel 19 but no luck. But for what it is, I run it in my non air conditioned work pick up without any worries of anyone stealing it. (I leave the windows down when I'm away) I dropped the dead key down to 2 watts and run a small 2 pill amp behind it. It gets out pretty good, but next I'm going to add a 102 whip....should really talk then.

11. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    while i'd rather have a cobra any day of the week i have an old midland 77-250 that still gets the job done day in and day out and haven't had any problems with it.....guess i'll use it till it finally gives up and then get that new cobra......but I can't complain about the midland.....i reaches out far enough for what i need on the road....and i think it's just being stubborn and hanging on after all these years because it knows i'd like to replace it hahaha

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.