Mike's Book Club: JB Hunt The Long Haul to Success

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I've heard mixed things about JB Hunt. I think JB Hunt is alright if you are okay with big mega fleet micro managing corporate mentality. See management at JB Hunt has to ride everyone's rear end because they sell dedicated high quality service without interruption. So everything has to work like a conveyor belt.

Every night the truck leaves at 10:00pm and goes from the chicken plant to Chicken Farm A-B and C and then returns when it's empty.

Like Longarm was telling me he worked for Prime and they were okay if you got a decent dispatcher. But if you had some dispatcher who couldn't work worth a crap then you were going to have bad loads and poorly planned loads.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Yea they have a fleet of day cab freightliner with chicken feed trailers 20 miles down the road and them guys go from the feed mill to farm every night I don't know what the pay is actually like but the who thing doesn't sound appealing now but when I was making 36k a year slinging beer it didn't sound awful bad

4mer trucker and Mike2633 Thank this.
  4. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    J.B. Hunt into the 1980s

During the 1980s J.B. Hunt was still a pretty small company really. However the company was set up for growth.

Johnnie him self actually was not really ever the CEO or every really an operations man in charge of anything. J.B. and Johnelle really were more or less the idea people. They basically had the idea's and then let the operations people and management people implement those dreams.

In the 1980s management at J.B. Hunt decided that and I didn't know this, but J.B. Hunt stayed in the rice hul business way into like the mid 1980s. In the mid 1980s management decided the rice hul business while profitable was a no growth business and J.B. Hunt sold off there rice hul business.

Mr.Hunt figured that the truck load business was way open for growth and offered way more opportunities for growth.

He figured there were 3 customer types:

Truck Load Customers who were people who had outgrown LTL companies and needed more truck load service.
    Dedicated Customers who would use J.B. for there shipping

Then private fleets yes as early as the 1980s. J.B. Hunt was planning on ways to buyout and take over private fleets. The sales pitch was and always has been. You don't need the expense and worry of transportation. Your not in the truck business we are we can handle all your needs by dedicating equipment to your account. Will take over the drivers and power, but will keep your crappy trailer fleet gotta save money somewhere were not going to waste our good trailers on you we got those parked back at one of our terminals in the back where nobody can touch them you know how stuff gets pooped up once it hits the road you want the good company trailers you got's to pay for it! Toy's R Us is a great example of this:
    [​IMG]

Actually I did some looking I didn't realize how cheap 53' dry van trailers actually were. I saw some trailer dealership advertising the new Hyundai Translead 53' 101" inch width trailer for like $29,000 brand new. I said huh that's all, that's pretty reasonable.

Hey not to get off topic, but what has happened to Wabash Trailer? They used to be huge all the big companies used to use them and now it's like I see Schneider pulling Great Dane and Hyundai trailers and man it used to be every major company that's all they bough were Wasbash trailers, but I don't see Wabash trailers like I used to Great Dane and Hyundai must have cut into there market share.

We I work we have Great Dane trailers it's all we have they have never bought a trailer from anyone else, wouldn't even dream of it and the Great Dane trailers seem pretty good to me.

Anyhow J.B. Hunt got out of the rice hul business.

Offered an IPO.

Expanded there fleet. With International Harvester tractors.

They also partnered with Santa Fe and really brought piggy back service to the forefront.

J.B. Hunt also streamlined there fleet same trucks, same trailers company trucks and company drivers better control and more efficient then using owner operators.

J.B. Hunt with a streamlined fleet:
    [​IMG]
    Was able set speed limits at 55 which gave the company the best millage and also streamlined maintenance and break down predictability.

Now J.B. Hunt did have a slow down in 1989, but the one thing about J.B. Hunt was they did not force growth, if they were trying to expand and the economics were not right they would pull back and push ahead later.

Now J.B. Hunt did run into some trouble with used tractor trade in values in 1990 the economy slowed way down. Causing used truck prices to plummet. This did hurt J.B. Hunt, because when they went to trade in semi tractors that were starting to age out of there fleet which they tried to change the fleet over every 3 years. J.B. Hunt the tractors they bought cost them about $70,000.

In the late 1980s early 1990s J.B. Hunt had about 1000 tractors.

One of there trucks, may have traded in at $38,000.00 or something like that. However because of the bad economy in 1990 there trucks were trading it at $28,000 or less. This was not conducive to trading in, so what ended up happening was J.B. Hunt kept there older trucks longer and watched there operating ratio drop and watched there costs associated with older equipment rise. Companies get into that vicious circle. My company is in that circle right now. We have aging fleet that is costing the company a very expensive amount to maintain, and while they haven't had to shell out money for new trucks, there at the break even point where it's costing them as much to maintain as it would be to just buy new. The problem is the truck we buy just got redesigned and now corporate and management have to poke and prod at the new design before they decide to go with it. So in 2018 they said were not getting any new power. Anyhow that has nothing to do with anything.

However in 1990 J.B. Hunt bought out a company called Bull Dog Express which was a flatbed company from Georgia and got into the flatbed business which is where J.B. Hunts flatbed division came from. J.B. Hunts flatbed division ran mostly in the south there flatbed division is pretty specialized to certain customers it was never there major thing, but they had to diversify a little bit in the 1990s and find work for there older more unreliable fleet and flatbed work was shorter hauls and paid alright so they could put there older no longer economically viable to trade in trucks on shorter runs. That's basically why they got into flatbed. J.B. Hunt couldn't trade in there older tractors, but had to do something with them so they put them work on shorter flatbed runs.

While the company did grow the fleet one of there executives said it was like every-time we grew the fleet we would expand rates and then rates would go down and we would have to lower our rates in order to get the fleet moving again.

J.B. Hunt was always a stable company they never moved people around and shuffled executives they kept things mostly the same and very stable and because of that they were able to grow during bad times and then really grow during good times.

The thing about J.B. Hunt was they were always a public traded company so they always had big money to expand and meet big customer demands.

J.B. Hunt and Schneider are fierce direct competitors and for most of the 1980s Schneider was ahead of J.B. Hunt, but around the mid to late 1980s J.B. Hunt surpassed Schneider. The difference between Schneider and J.B. Hunt is Schneider is privately held and J.B. Hunt is publicly traded.

However as J.B. Hunt grew during the 1980s they were set up for big growth during the go-go 1990's:
    [​IMG]

Ruthless, 4mer trucker and Mike_77 Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    J.B. Hunt Ch4

Chapter 4 is about J.B. Hunt driver Mike Stier and life on the road for J.B. Hunt in 1991.

It's mostly just OTR trials and tribulations nothing to really report that we don't already know typical OTR stuff. It's good reading but it's not a lot to report on.

Ruthless and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Tune in next time for Ch5 Operations. Real nuts and bolts stuff.
    Ch4 was typical OTR bs. Go some place and wait. Go some place and the directions are wrong call the office and talk to some schmo who doesn't give a crap.

Find where your going get there wait. Get unloaded drive to next place wait more and then get loaded leave drive a little more and shut it down before your headed back to the terminal park your trailer and assigned another load. That was Ch4 in a nutshell.

Ruthless and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  7. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    I have no idea a how old you are, but if by chance your under the age of say 25 and looking to make a long term career out of irregular route truckload (otr), or any other type of line haul work I would consider the effects level 4 automation will have on that profession. I suspect that with level 3 automation you will see drivers pay fall due to the fact that they are responsible for less operation of the truck. I've been reading and listening to various technology experts debate how quickly we will get to levels 3 and 4 truck automation, opinions vary but one thing everyone seems to agree on is that sooner or later it will happen. With the amount of money Wall Street and the well funded Silicon Valley tech companies are throwing at vehicle automation it might be sooner than most on this forum seem to think. If you are a younger person I'm not suggesting you abandon your dream of irregular route truckload (otr) work, just have a plan B in mind and be mindful of industry and technological trends . After all being a 50 year old person who finds themselves out of work due to automation with no other options would be a difficult position to be in.

On a slightly different point; I suspect that level 4 and possibly level 3 automation will be the biggest game changer the trucking industry has ever seen, the changes this technology will produce might make deregulation of the 1970's feel like a minor event in comparison.

Further reading on autonomous truck technology:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.trucks.com/2015/09/30/five-levels-autonomous-vehicles/amp/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    4mer trucker, Mike2633 and Rollr4872 Thank this.
  8. Mike_77

Sep 23, 2017
    Lol I know the guy who took the picture of the Werner 379.

9. Mike_77

Sep 23, 2017
    Your doing a great job, keep it coming! I was surprised to learn that JB was a hands off type of owner.

My days of OTR are way behind me so I was surprised to learn that Falcon fell on hard times. The first turnpike double setup I ever saw was a Falcon truck. Being a west coaster that Falcon truck was a novelty, kind of like seeing the Amish buggys in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Didn't the early JB Hunt containers have branding that did not say JB Hunt on the side??? I seem to remember the name on the side started with "Q"? Or is my memory going with all this gray hair I'm getting lol.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Ruthless, 4mer trucker and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Mike_77

Sep 23, 2017
    IMG_9451.jpg
    I learned something new, I was surprised to learn that JB Hunt flatbed was the result of a buyout, I always assumed it was the result of organic growth. Generally speaking wasn't the JB Hunt of this era more inclined to grow internally rather than through buyouts? Anyone happen to remember the short lived JB Hunt flat bed terminal in Rice Hill Or? When they first announced its opening the relatively small lumber hauling flatbed companies on the I-5 corridor were nervous, as it turns out they were nervous about nothing.

Part of the reason JB had the problem with resale values in the 1990's is because those International COE's were the ugly step children of the industry that nobody wanted to buy. CL Werner was probably laughing at JB Hunt and Schneider when it came to selling off trucks back then lol. Anyone remember the Werner Classic XL's with the 70" flat top sleepers of the early 90's, before they ordered them with raised roof (condo) sleepers? I miss the trucks of the 90's.

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    all those belly bottom 28' pups that FXG has are ALL Wabash and Wabash does ALL the maintenance on them.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.