Mileage Pay for Owner/Lease Operators

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by IrreverentCrawfish, Sep 12, 2018.

1. IrreverentCrawfish

IrreverentCrawfish Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2017
    'Merica
    I'm fairly new to both the trucking industry and the independent contractor side of things, and I've been wondering something. I keep on seeing all of these companies that pay independent contractors by the mile, and they seem to hover around $1.00-$1.10 per mile. I lease at Prime, and I get paid 72% of gross revenue on the load plus FSC which typically works out to somewhere between $1.50 and $2.50 per mile after I account for deadhead miles. Is there some other way that the mileage pay companies pay their contractors or some expenses that they subsidize to make that a compelling deal? Or is that really as bad of a deal as it sounds like?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    How’s that working out for you since your new to all the this ?

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Most of those are the 1 or 1.10 as a base rate before fuel surcharge. So you might end up in the 1.35 to 1.45 range. Most are for loaded miles only and then will be just the base rate if not a bit lower for empty miles. Some pay for everything, some nickel and dime you for different things.

Many of the percentage outfits charge you for just about everything. So 85% could end up being 65 or 70%. Or a 65% could end up being higher actual money in your pocket because they pay for everything. Also, something to keep in mind is 80% of 1000 is 800 but if a 65% company runs the loads for 1300 plus charges you for less things, you would have made 50 more dollars plus been charged for less. Make sense?

Getting paid by the mile is not such a bad thing if at the right price. It puts the pressure on the company to perform instead of you being beholden to their skills in finding good rates. If you prefer this, find a company that pays around 1.75 and on all miles. It should be up to them to keep you loaded and making money. Not you running all over BFE empty and not making money. They should pay for all the expenses except fuel. Downside to this setup, is if they are subsidizing most of your costs then taking time off may be frowned upon. This may take away of your sense of “freedom” in being an owner op. However, you know what your gonna get every single mile.

It’s all give and take and finding the right company where your comfortable, you make good money, they have your back and you have theirs, etc.

Rideandrepair and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. IrreverentCrawfish

IrreverentCrawfish Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2017
    'Merica
    I'd say it's going pretty well. I probably take home a bit more than the average company driver, and I enjoy the freedom of being my own boss. I also feel that being an independent contractor makes it much easier to learn the ins and outs of the industry. All in all, I think Prime's leasing program seems like a decent way to learn the business side of trucking. It may not be the highest paying job, but it pays the bills, the company treats me like a human, and it gives me a great opportunity to expand my knowledge.

6. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    I got a buddy over at Oakley and he said with the recent raises he is at $2 loaded and $1.60 empty running a dump trailer.. don’t seem like a bad gig if ya don’t have authority..

7. BigNik

BigNik Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    So is it worth it getting own authority and work toward getting 2 trucks? Do the loads pay that much more with operating with own authority??

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No.

Coffey, Rideandrepair and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You should probably do a google and research the downfalls of being a 1099 in a company leased semi.

All you all see is green. But none of you think about what that green is going to cost you in the long run.

And here's an idea none of you think about. If it was as good as you think it is.

We'd ALL be doing it.

Isn't there a rental operator section on this forum?

Ruthless and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Are you talking about being a 1099 driver or a o/o leased to a carrier and getting a settlement in the form of a 1099.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.