military driving

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by mlrs270, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlrs270

mlrs270 Light Load Member

May 15, 2008
    winston salem nc
    i currently drive fulltime for the ARMY in NC? I have a NC Class A CDL will any company accept that type of experience? im a federal servce technician any advice will help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I don't know. But I would think about the only way to find out is to check with some of the smaller companies. I would be willing to bet you a cup of coffee that none of the majors would accept it, unless you were willing to go through their schools, just like any other newbie.

Now, I have a question. Do you NEED the state CDL to drive a military rig? Or is a military driver's license accepted. Do they even do military driver's licenses any more?

4. mlrs270

May 15, 2008
    winston salem nc
    no i got my cdl on my own! just took my military driving license to them and they accepted it!

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

very few states will accept a military licencse any more, due to some old motor sergeants who would licencse thier buddy on anything they wanted

if you a tech, then yer guard correct?

i do know the even watkins shepard wont accept military experiance, not even the guard heavy hual guys (they hual the M1's and bradleys around the state of MT) and they drive western stars

6. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    That's how I got my start, but sure things have changed a good bit.
    Could drive and back well enough to pass company road test and got my Class 5 on my own. Simpler then.
    But I had no knowledge of log books, scales etc. I learned that stuff running team with older drivers. That's how most of us got started back then before the schools and mega companies became the norm.
    If you look hard enough, you may be able to find a smaller company that will give you a shot. Worth a try. I'll be pulling for you.

7. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    not only will an OTR company not accept that as experience, they also won't hire you as a student without a diploma from a trucking school.

8. mlrs270

May 15, 2008
    winston salem nc
  9. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    Check into Roehl. They have a 'vet' training program (if you qualify) and it used to be 'free'. I don't know anymore if it is....

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Some will. Very few but, he might get lucky when the hiring freeze is lifted.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  11. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    No company will honor military driving as otr expirience.I am an 88 mike (army truck driver) in the reserves..What kind of full time driving do you do as far as military?I have never heard of any 88 M techs..Usually the techs are mechanics,or do jobs along those lines..Usually anything like driving seems like its left for civillians..Driving as military,you dont have to do logs,or shift gears,or hit scales and what have you..When I drove in Iraq for a year,that expirience was way different then driving here...You will pretty much have to go through a school and get hired as a student that has to go out on the road with a trainer...Broncrider,you say the guard where you live has star's??I went to the western star webpage and seen a sweet lookin truck called the 6900 XD.I will attach a pic.Looks like it has a 4 way 5th wheel (tilt up/down,left/right) like a het..Wonder if it pulls the same trailer..??..I have never seen one before,but me likey!!!Not sure of the pics came up,but i included one of the the WS'S and one of a het and het trailer

Attached Files:

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.